UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

well Sagalassos is indeed being dug by a belgian led team, which rediscovered the city and started restauring it, bringing a new economic lung to that part of Turkey, but it's in no way a Belgian national treasure, and as far as I'm aware we've never even had an exhibition on the city here in Belgium...

well Sagalassos is indeed being dug by a belgian led team, which rediscovered the city and started restauring it, bringing a new economic lung to that part of Turkey, but it's in no way a Belgian national treasure, and as far as I'm aware we've never even had an exhibition on the city here in Belgium...

Well maybe just in archaeological circles then.

The Belgian archaeologists I've met were always complaining about Sagalassos getting all the limelight.

Except for the achaeologists working at Sagalassos of course.

Anyway, here's the next picture, shouldn't be too hard.

2009ea026.jpg

indeed not too hard since the small tower and the gallery on the left appear on the first page of Google when one does type "roman wall spain" (why spain will you ask ? well the surrounding looked definitively european and I had to begin with a country, and I did not remember any such remain in either the UK, Belgium, Germany or France. Thus my answer is : "the walls are in Barcelona's Old Town (the Barri G

I found it but I cheated, so I'll leave it for someone else.

Very interesting, never knew that town had so much to offer.

Have you been there?

...i think you once said, that you havent been in eastern europe that much, so i am guessing it is somewhere in eastern europe?

I wondered about Split but I couldn't find any images of Diocletian's Palace that really fit.

well, yes, if someone google the exact filename... it thought it was safe since it did not give information in the filename itself...

I got a bit over-curious :(

The Roman theatre at Plovdiv Bulgaria.

Are there any rules to this game I should know about? I've just discovered it and I don't want to go through all 71 pages(!) to try to discover them.

Hello,

if the original poster of the pic confirms your findings, you can post a picture of an ancient site (preferably roman), and we start to guess where it is from...

cheers

viggen

The Roman theatre at Plovdiv Bulgaria.

Are there any rules to this game I should know about? I've just discovered it and I don't want to go through all 71 pages(!) to try to discover them.

Not many rules. You post a photo of a roman ruin and if there is no good guess you can give us clues.