UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

The site is close to Turkey but not in it. :no2:

What I need is a nice picture book of every surviving Roman bridge :blink:

Googling is driving me crazy !

How about Syria for the site?

Correct; now where - it has a military connection? :)

Syria, you say? Must be the bridge over the Afrin near Aleppo (you could probably spit into Turkey from there, with favourable winds and a run up). Not sure of its name, though.

Aleppo isn't that close to this site but you are fairly near to the border. :lol:

If memory serves, the settlement is called Kyrhus or Cyrhus, or something of that ilk.

Close enough - Cyrrhus (Kyrrhos), ancient town in northern Syria, base of the Tenth legion Fretensis for a short period and (according to Wikipedia) about 70 km northwest of Aleppo, Syria and 24 km west of Kilis, Turkey.

Over to you Ghost :lol:

OK. Two pictures. The first (bull fighter) is just an excuse to show you an interesting little picture and is just a bit of fun, but feel free to identify it if you like. If you can, you'll see why I didn't use it for the 'competition'.

The second (church) is the real one. It's obscure yet interesting, so I'll drip feed you all with plenty of clues, but on the off chance someone knows it already, just the picture for now.

post-3894-0-45422300-1305104193_thumb.jpg

post-3894-0-81594400-1305104934_thumb.jpg

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I'll sit this one out but - hint we are back in the East of England again :whistling:

I'll sit this one out but - hint we are back in the East of England again :whistling:

Did you know this one straight away, Melvadius? Impressive! It's pretty obscure! (and remote)

Not if you have certain military related books - the church is more than a bit of a giveaway ;)

Love that wonderful bullfighter statue :)

However, my knowledge of Roman sites in England is limited (very)

Now as I google obsessively someone else will guess correctly but at least I'll have learnt a bit more!

You may have noticed the sea in the background so think of military site near the 'Shore' ;)

Thanks for the clues - I'm getting better at decoding them now that I have some great reference sites

Shore led me to Saxon Shore, and then I found the church St Peters-on-the-wall - so I'm certain that it's Othona, one of the forts of the Saxon Shore fortifications