UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

Is it one of the somewhat more famous cities in Homer or one of the very many he just mentions?

It's pretty obscure. :)

Was it ever noted for the presence of an Oracle?

Lucky guess: Mystra?

Unlucky, I'm afraid.

Get out your atlases.

Take the exit off the main highway #1 near little Thebes and head for the nearest coast. You can't miss it, it's just by the side of the road.

Well, that was a nice journey, Maladict.

Quite a torment.

After I found MikroqhbeV, it was easy with the help of an atlas (google-earth), though.

Pfoehee .... !

It must be Fthiotides Thebes or "Christian Thebes".

Pyrassos (inhabited since 6.000 BC), which is mentioned in the Catalogue of Ships in the Iliad was destroyed in the 3rd century BC and from

its ashes rose Fthiotides Thebes.

Thousands of objects from 5th-6th century AD and 5 churches, rich of decoration and mosaic floors, were found in the Fthiotides Thebes area.

The church of Peter has an impressive length: 75m and counting because not all of the building is excavated yet. Because of these early

Christian finds from the Byzantine period, the city is also called "Christian Thebes".

The community was destroyed in the 7th AD and never rebuild.

So, I guess I got al the clues right, and learned a lot today.

Jeroen H de Lange,

Amsterdam

Congratulations. :)

Yes, it's ancient Pyrassos, today known as Nea Anchialos. One of the more underrated ancient sites in Greece.

My previous posts were too easy, maybe this one isn't.

This site also doesn't expect many visitors, though it's an amazing historical place.

Good luck, challenge me for some clues.

post-9835-0-59694900-1357816370_thumb.jpg

Edited by Auris Arrectibus

Interesting one. The setting looks like Rockbourne or Wall, but the masonry most certainly does not. The scenery looks fairly British, but on the grounds I don't recognise it, I'll start the ball rolling with this:

It's somewhere outside the Britannia.

Interesting one. The setting looks like Rockbourne or Wall, but the masonry most certainly does not. The scenery looks fairly British, but on the grounds I don't recognise it, I'll start the ball rolling with this:

I would go a bit farther and suggest that the vegetation looks like northern France or possibly more likely somewhere 'fairly' near the Rhine in Germany. I don't think that it is in the Netherlands but I may be wrong.

I find it an interesting site in that the visible 'standing' masonry looks to be around 4-5 foot (1.2m - 1.5m) high.

Outside Brittaniae it is ....

I would go a bit farther and suggest that the vegetation looks like northern France or possibly more likely somewhere 'fairly' near the Rhine in Germany. I don't think that it is in the Netherlands but I may be wrong.

I find it an interesting site in that the visible 'standing' masonry looks to be around 4-5 foot (1.2m - 1.5m) high.

No, not in the Netherlands ...

France it is.

Edited by Auris Arrectibus

Is this place connected to the continental part of the Saxon Shore fortifications?