UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

"Nicopolis ad Istrum [in Dacia](Greek: ????????? ? ???? ??????) was a Roman and Early Byzantine town founded by Emperor Trajan around 101

Nope, but it is getting hotter.

I'll go as far as to say that:

i) It's in mainland Italy

ii) It's within 5 miles of the coast

Am I right?

5 english miles? I have a very basic understanding of how far that is but I am, even so, pretty sure it's the case, yes. And it is on the mainland, correct.

Fair point. Let's call it 8km. I would have asked "is it coastal?", but the coastline then would be different to the coastline now.

Fair point. Let's call it 8km. I would have asked "is it coastal?", but the coastline then would be different to the coastline now.

I would certainly consider it to have been coastal.

Metapontum? Hard to tell as I'm looking at it on my phone.

Damn it Maladict, ruining the fun already? :P I was just getting started. Well played! What gave it away?

Metapontum was a Greek Achean colony founded at the mouth of the river Basento. It prospered for a long time, competing with Siris and Tarentum, until it started declining in the 4th c. BC as both Dionysios I and the Lucanians captured it in the 390's BC. Two decades later it was dominated by Tarentum. Another capture, this time by the Spartan Cleonymus of Sparta in 302/1 probably did it no good and supporting Phyrrus against Rome turned out to be a mistake as the Romans took the city in 272 - but it did gain the status of a socii at the same time.

Metapontum was however one of rather few cities in Italy that decided to support Hannibal and it simply dispersal from the records after the Roman victory in the second Punic war (anyone want to play guess what happened?), although a Roman municipium continued to exist on the site.

It is important to modern archaeologists as a lot of rural survey work has been done in the area, tracing the land division of a Greek colony.

What gave it away?

Me having been there. :)

Go ahead and post another one, I won't have much time in the next two weeks or so.

I'll try not to ruin it again :P

Haha, I actually like seeing how good you are at this! But sure, I can post a new picture tonight unless you get around to it?

Here we go again! I hope this one will be able to confuse Maladict!

gallery_1460_110_66355.jpg

It does! :)

Finally!