UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

Nobody wants to know where to find this beautiful view? :)

It's splendid ! To start things up I'll launch a first guess : Greece ? (at first I tought "Morgantina, Sicily" but it does not match, I've never seen pics of this place but it looks great and something I shall have to visit one day !)

Interesting that it's clearly at a reasonable altitude. Former military installation maybe? Or maybe a very early settlement?

Very wooded - my guess is mainland Italy

Morgantina was a city in east-central Sicily, built on the Serra Orlando ridge - the modern identification is almost certain. Archaeological remains first appear around the 10th century BC, but Greek pottery and terracottas show up only from around 560 BC. The city, however, soon came under the influence of other cities and it remains under in the Syracusan orbit for most of the 5th c. BC and until the city decided to support Carthage rather than Rome in the second punic war. This was, as we know today, a little bit of a mistake and Morgantina was besieged and taken by M. Claudius Marcellus after which the city was handed over to some of Romes Spanish mercenaries. By the end of the republic the city had lapsed into decay and we hear almost nothing more about it (I cannot help but comparing the fate of Margantine to that of Metaponto which also sided with Carthage). It was most likely completely abandoned by the first century AD.

The city is most famous for it's impressive house remains with splendid mosaics.

...but it's not the city we're looking for today and my photo was not taken in Greece!

I'm gonna go with Turkey on this one. Looks like Anatolia to me.

So far so good!

A Hellenistic site, not on the coast but probably not far from it either, given the vegetation.

My best guess would be somewhere in Caria.

A Hellenistic site, not on the coast but probably not far from it either, given the vegetation.

My best guess would be somewhere in Caria.

I bet Sherlock Holmes is happy that he did not try to investigate run away roman sites cause he would be up for some though competition with you around.

You're right again!

Well, that's as far as I get without google and maps. Don't have time for that, unfortunately.

I know some people here will be happy to take over, though. :)

Ok, time for a hint! This place has been strongly associated with a dynasty.

Looks a city in a plain, not in the mountains.

So I think it could be Aphrodisias.

Via the godess Aphrodite, this city is linked to the Julio-Claudian dynasty, their divine ancestress.

Auris

Unfortunately not - this place is not connected to a Roman dynasty.

Is that dynasty the Flavians?

Then it could be Labraunda, connected to the Hekatomnos-dynasty ...

'Found alike picture of the stairs on the net: Temple of Zeus?

Auris

You've got it, great work! It's a fascinating place and it is promising some very important finds within the next couple of years - my department is excavating there so I'mm let everyone know in good time :)

Your turn!