UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

It's from the middle eastern provinces, that should help you quite a deal I guess.

Ps. A friend who knows nothing about history managed to find it with the help of Google in less then 1 hour. He's an internet maniac thou...

I know what I thought on the begining. For me the first picture was looking just like the temple of Vesta on the Roman forum but after watching second picture I realised it was somthing different.

http://images.google.pl/imgres?imgurl=http...l%3Dpl%26sa%3DN

Edited by Mosquito

It's Baalbek, isn't it? A temple, of Venus I'd guess, but I could be wrong.

Definately Baalbek, though.

Correct very nice ;)

It's the tempel of Venus at Baalbek in the province of Syria, built in the first half of the 3rd century ad in Serverian baroque style. Whats quite special about this temple is the entablature and base that are curved into the cella walls from the columns.

Your turn!

It's the tempel of Venus at Baalbek in the province of Syria, built in the first half of the 3rd century ad in Serverian baroque style. Whats quite special about this temple is the entablature and base that are curved into the cella walls from the columns.

It's a spectacular little building ;)

antiochie3.jpg

The columns are part of the city's forum. The building in the background is there to help you out.....a little bit.

I'm off to bed, back in about 6 hours with a hint if necessary. Happy guessing!

Well, on the ground of architecture I afraid that Im a complete ignorant. I can tell the difference between circus and aqueduct or temple but thats all.

LOL - same here. I can tell the difference between Ionian, Doric and Corinthian columns and I know what a caryatid is - after that, I'm sunk.

Florence? (ancient name: Florentia)

-- Nephele

This is a great thread, but "You are a bad one, Mr. Maladict." ;) Make sure that it keeps going! ;)

:lol:

Just following the rules.... :ph34r:

DL the picture you wish to use, rename it and upload it to an image hosting site.
Edited by Maladict