UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

The first pic looks like a pond. The second a canal. How may we be assured that you are not being Mal(icious)adict? :hammer:

:whistling:

The first pic looks like a pond. The second a canal. How may we be assured that you are not being Mal(icious)adict? :hammer:

:whistling:

Oh ye of little faith...

It's behind the canal (and the castle).

I'm afraid that I'm totally lost, I have no clue. I can hardly even imagine what could be behind the castle and yet would be seen as a shape in the first.

I'm afraid that I'm totally lost, I have no clue. I can hardly even imagine what could be behind the castle and yet would be seen as a shape in the first.

The shape referred to the basin. I figured its distinctive shape would give it away instantly, so I kind of hid it by posting low altitude pictures. Here it is, in all its glory:

psmk9.jpg

Edited by Maladict

I've found it now, it's Ostia and sadly I missed it last time I was close by in Rome. And the time before that too.

About that "It would be easier from the moon" very true, I finally spotted it with the help of google earth. I can't believe that I've never seen or even heard about it. I'm in a state of chock! How could they neglect such a place in so many books.

I'm ashamed.

I've found it now, it's Ostia and sadly I missed it last time I was close by in Rome. And the time before that too.

About that "It would be easier from the moon" very true, I finally spotted it with the help of google earth. I can't believe that I've never seen or even heard about it. I'm in a state of chock! How could they neglect such a place in so many books.

I'm ashamed.

Yes, I took the last picture from Google Earth too. Your answer is incorrect, though. :P

Now I'm quite confused. I know that Ostia should have been buried by time, but I thought I confirmed it when I found a model at google where it was built in as a harbor. Anyway I hope someone will find out soon and then I expect a long description on what this have been and all kind of strange information on it :P

Now I'm quite confused. I know that Ostia should have been buried by time, but I thought I confirmed it when I found a model at google where it was built in as a harbor. Anyway I hope someone will find out soon and then I expect a long description on what this have been and all kind of strange information on it :P

Shame, you're really close.

Yeah I've found Ostia now. I guess the hunt continue!

Ok here we go, my final guess.

It's Portus Traiani Felicis a few miles north of Ostia. It seems to have been connected to Portus Agusti.

Edited by Klingan

Yeah I've found Ostia now. I guess the hunt continue!

Ok here we go, my final guess.

It's Portus Traiani Felicis a few miles north of Ostia. It seems to have been connected to Portus Agusti.

Yes, it is Portus. Well done.

I couldn't accept Ostia as they are two distinct cities. They both had their own episcopal see, for example.

The basin and its surroundings are private property of the Torlonia family, which is why you won't often see it mentioned. It is perfectly preserved, with the remains of some warehouses and shipyards.

portus-m.jpg

Yeah I noticed they were separate places after a while. I am really going to take a closer look at this when I've got time. I guess I'm up next then. I'll need a few hours to think about it, anyone else is free to post one during the time if they want to.

Ok here we go:

2ll0xuw.jpg

I hope it's going to be a nice balanced challenge.

Sadly enough it seems that it's only you and me left. Unless I've got any guess before tomorrow morning I'll post a hint.

I feared there would not be enough active members here to keep it running. :(

But I'll play as long as you're up for it.

Come on people, it's fun and educational :hammer:

edit: Oops, I tried Google and found it....it's Didyma.

Edited by Maladict