UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

that would have been too easy, since this is the best known dig of Van Effenterre ;) But you're on the right island. We are indeed in Crete and the war we are speaking of is the war between cretan cities organized in two leagues under the patronage of Rhodes and Egypt, a war which forced the mediation of the romans led by Q. Fabius Maximus, probably in 113/112 BC.

Dyme.

Yes indeed it is Lato, the first site of the city whose institutions later went to Lato Pros Kamara, today the town of Hagios Nikolaos.

Lato was in alliance with Cnossos and Itanos, among others, against cities like Hierapitna and Olous. A first war against the pro-rodhians ended in a victory celebrated in the stelae of Sta Lenika studied by Van Effenterre during the 1940's. His view of things was that after this first war Lato won lands on Olous. Then a few years later a new war started, officially due to a conflict on the cargo of a (pirated ? grounded ?) ship. The ship was probably a simple excuse for what was in fact a question of access to Lato's good port. It looks like the war did not go very well for Lato, who called upon international powers to settle things. Cnossos was the first arbiter and gave all the lands back to Lato. Then a new settlement, confirming Cnossos judgement, was arbitred in Delphi. Then when, in 113/112, a roman commission came to pacify Crete they confirmed the two previous arbitrages.

Lato continued as a peacefull town in the roman period, not suffering from the roman war of conquest.

So you got the hand Sylla !

Yes indeed it is Lato, the first site of the city whose institutions later went to Lato Pros Kamara, today the town of Hagios Nikolaos.

Lato was in alliance with Cnossos and Itanos, among others, against cities like Hierapitna and Olous. A first war against the pro-rodhians ended in a victory celebrated in the stelae of Sta Lenika studied by Van Effenterre during the 1940's. His view of things was that after this first war Lato won lands on Olous. Then a few years later a new war started, officially due to a conflict on the cargo of a (pirated ? grounded ?) ship. The ship was probably a simple excuse for what was in fact a question of access to Lato's good port. It looks like the war did not go very well for Lato, who called upon international powers to settle things. Cnossos was the first arbiter and gave all the lands back to Lato. Then a new settlement, confirming Cnossos judgement, was arbitred in Delphi. Then when, in 113/112, a roman commission came to pacify Crete they confirmed the two previous arbitrages.

Lato continued as a peacefull town in the roman period, not suffering from the roman war of conquest.

So you got the hand Sylla !

I wasn't aware that the Roman arbitrages were required so late; when you mentioned the Livy's reference, were you talking about a Book or a Periocha? I wasn't able to find it.

Thanks, but I am not currently able to post images; so if any other UNRV member would be kind enough to take the hand, I will be forever in debt.

BTW, I'm not sure if any specific rule applies for the this case, so please ask Maladict or any other veteran member.

2qmqm8m.jpg

Nope :D

Should I really give you hints already? :D

Herculaneum.

Oh no :D

It is indeed in Italy though.

The city was conquered rather early by the Romans.