UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

Impressive remains, as the size of the house next to it shows ! Never been there yet, but I hope I'll be able to do it in a not too distant future

med_gallery_2692_152_116323.jpg

That looks a bit like the Porta Rosa in Velia but I don't remember the structures in front of it.

Damn I thought it would live a bit longer ;) it is the porta rosa of Velia, unfortunately the area was off limits when I went there last april so I could'nt see it with my own eyes... Your turn !

Damn I thought it would live a bit longer ;) it is the porta rosa of Velia, unfortunately the area was off limits when I went there last april so I could'nt see it with my own eyes... Your turn !

It was already off limits when I visited in 2004, but you could still get up to the point where this picture was taken. ;)

I'm too busy for the next few days, whoever wishes to can post the next picture.

img1662midresmidsize.jpg

Anybody like to have a crack at this?

..ok marcus silanus, i think we waited now long enough and deserve a hint! ;-)

cheers

viggen

If Marcus doesn't reply (he hasn't posted since February 2010), there's still my competition over on this thread, with a prize to the winner.

Only one rule - you're not allowed to enter if you're Melvadius. This isn't a personal prejudice I have against him, I just happen to know he saw the programme! (sorry Melvadius!).

75dfda6d-7432-4d4a-876d-d02bdb98460a_625x352.jpg

Unfair, I didn't see that much of it but anyone with half an eye should know where that photo was taken - hint it looks like the tallest piece of freestanding Roman wall left in the country. :whistling:

Do I get the prize?

On reflection, you're clearly a man of great integrity, Melvadius, so if you tell me you would've known in advance of seeing it on the telly, I shall believe you, and the prize will be yours.

I can't say fairer than that.

Whyere that site is concerned, I cannot tell a lie.

The number of times I have seen images of the basilica wall from Wroxeter (not to forget the couple of times) I have stood under the gap in the mwall myself have combined to burn it into my memory. :)

..ok marcus silanus, i think we waited now long enough and deserve a hint! ;-)

cheers

viggen

Thanks for the message and at some point I will explain my absence. However I will say that I am determined to get stuck in again having greatly missed the intellectual "tennis" and daily betterment of my appreciation of the subject.

Slight problem that I have on this post is that I am struggling to remember myself. My face has gone rather red over this so I'm going to spend some time later on after the daily toils and I'll come up with a hint.

Fingers crossed!!

The number of times I have seen images of the basilica wall from Wroxeter (not to forget the couple of times) I have stood under the gap in the mwall myself have combined to burn it into my memory. :)

Then the prize is yours, Melvadius - I'll PM you when I can think of what it is.

In the mean time, to get this thread moving again, and with Marcus Silanus' permission, I think it's only proper for you to have the honour of providing the next image.

Then the prize is yours, Melvadius - I'll PM you when I can think of what it is.

In the mean time, to get this thread moving again, and with Marcus Silanus' permission, I think it's only proper for you to have the honour of providing the next image.

That's fine with me of course! I knew that I had used an image from England or Wales, but couldn't be sure from where exactly.

Well to give people something to be working on until Marcus Silanus can track down his 'hints' you can try this one.

[Edit] Sorry folks I seem to have accidently loaded an internal view with little evidence for the location rather than the external one I had meant to include, hopefully this corrected image will give you a few more hints to the location. :(

post-3948-075746300 1296134532_thumb.jpg