UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

no, this is not the place :)/>/> (yeah, for once a place really does prove challenging to this great assembly !)

The sad part is that it is a great reminder of how (western) euro centered we are.

yes, that's one of the reasons I went to visit Bulgaria last summer in fact. Since I saw some of the roman sculpture in Volubilis (Marocco) and saw the very regional style of it I took notice of how our vision of the ancient greek and romans largely depends from the stereotype taken from the core of the empire, never from the full experience delivered on the fringes of it.

For me it's a bit like greek ceramic, everyone knows of the black-figure and of the red-figure attic styles, sometimes also of the older corinthian black-on-white/yellow, but what is actually seen in many museums and strikes us as strange (and, to me, as ugly...) in comparison is the 4th century apuleian and more generally Magna-Graecia types.

Hi Bryaxis,

I guess it could be Abritus, near the nowadays industrial centre of the city of Razgrad.

The event that took place in this area was the battle of Forum Terebronii in July or August 251 AD, inwhich the Goth Cniva defeated and killed emperor Decius (and his son).

It was destroyed by the Avars at the end of the 6th century.

Jeroen H de Lange,

Amsterdam

Perfect Auris ! The hand is now yours ! For more pictures you may visit my gallery : https://picasaweb.google.com/115229891211658247956/Bulgarie20Mai2012AbritusVelikePreslavShumenPriskaMadara

And how did I miss to do that while I guessed... :P I'm getting old and slow.

Here's hoping for a quick win:

The Cave of the Cybelle?

More specifically, if it was needed, the Roman quarry/ mine working beneath the temples on the hill claimed as the Sybil's Cave at Cumae - I think Ghost has it :(

Here's hoping for a quick win:

The Cave of the Cybelle?

Yep, that's right.

Another example of a very poor conservation of Italy's heritage.

The site of Cumae, the akropolis is above, is a mess and polluted.

The girl in front is my daughter of 9 years old and she was fascinated

about the story of the Sybille of Cumae and the encounter with Aeneas.

The steamy underworld should be nearby as we visited the Solfatara

crater. The fact that our way of writing the ("latin") alfabet could have

started here was also inspiring.

Ah well, easy maybe, but not less important. In a few years it cold have

collapsed.

Over to you Ghost!

Jeroen H DeLange,

Amsterdam

Wow! I'm quite stunned by that. I vaguely remember hearing someone say "The Cave of the Sybille" many years ago. I assumed it was Cybelle, rather than Sybille. The only clue was that it looked a bit like a cave entrance, so I thought "cave . . . cave . . . cave . . . . there was that Cave of the Cybelle thingie".

I really don't deserve that one (but I'll take it anyway.)

This one is a little different. I need you to identify the actual structure (not the type of structure) represented by the earthworks in the foreground. I know that some of you have visited this structure, but I doubt that would put you at a greater advantage. All the clues are in the photo, once you've established the general location, which I think someone will provide early on. I suspect a bit of research on the the World Wide Interweb will help. My advice is to narrow it down bit by bit, and I will state whether you're right or not.

Off you go, and best of luck on your quest.

post-3894-0-27987900-1354788116_thumb.jpg

Edited by GhostOfClayton

OK - I thought that would be quick. Now you have the overall context, the next question you need to ask yourself is - "what type of structure might lay beneath the earthwork?"

Milecastle 38?