UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

Well done Auris Arrectibus. :clapping:

As Ghost says you have identified the mystery city (second in Roman Britain only to Londinium)- even if the site you found seems to have misplaced Chichester AND Bath!

BTW I did try to keep it relatively easy this time so sorry if anyone felt it was a hard one. :(

I'm not so sure, my pictures of the arch show neither inscription nor such a metal guard underneath. Also their is a line inside the arch not present here, and the arch of Trieste is also much more ornate (pilaster and such) so it can't be him I think...

On the other hand the Arch of Drusus in Spoleto could maybe fit the bill better.

I'm not so sure, my pictures of the arch show neither inscription nor such a metal guard underneath. Also their is a line inside the arch not present here, and the arch of Trieste is also much more ornate (pilaster and such) so it can't be him I think...

On the other hand the Arch of Drusus in Spoleto could maybe fit the bill better.

Nice guess, Bryaxis!

It's the Arco di Druso in Spoleto, erected in 23 AD in the honour of Tiberius' son.

Next!

Ahah I did really win against our great lord Maladict ? godness ! thanks Minerva ! :P/>/>/>

But I'm sure he'll humble me back with just one look at the following picture :

post-2692-0-14742900-1355171490_thumb.jpg

:hammer:

This actually hurts as I never made it to Spoleto. Tried twice, but on both occasions I was waylaid by the blasted Italian railways. :furious:

Anyway, let's pretend nothing happened :D

The new picture has me a bit clueless, I'm guessing it might be northern Greece or the southern Balkans. So, Amphipolis maybe, or Philippi?

I feel another humiliation coming...

I'm afraid Maladict that this place is not one of those you just mentionned... (it may reconfort you that I never went to Spoleto either, but used my pictures to confirm or, as it proved, infirm your hypothesis before using google to look for arches, a picture which turned of as being from a wikipedia page on roman arches giving me the answer...)

Somewhere in Turkey?