UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

Surely it's Italy! My first thought was Paestum, but the landscape leading up to the hills is much flatter at Paestum. This is (as my colleague used to say) a curly one!

Surely it's Italy! My first thought was Paestum, but the landscape leading up to the hills is much flatter at Paestum. This is (as my colleague used to say) a curly one!

Are you sure? The stone seems far too coarse and gray to me, the capital leafs too stylized and the masonry looks very un-roman.

Are you sure?

I was mainly looking at the landscape to be honest, and I'd written off Peastum before I even looked at the masonry. But you're quite right. Coastal sandstone and widespread use of Opus Quadratum would be the next thing I looked for.

It doesn't seem to have the distinctive Opus Africanus building style so I would suggest that it is not in North Africa.

Then I go for Italy. Apennines in the back and grass halms all over the place.

Concrete corinth columns could match..... but where is it?

Not.

Should read the last post first, before doing anything stupid.

I'm tempted to save you from this embarrassment. But just tempted ;)

Io Saturnalia to you, Ummidia.

Interesting one. The bell tower looks Norman, so UK or France. However, those chimney pots don't look British, so I'm going start the ball rolling with France?

I agree that the vegetation looks French but there are other parts of Europe it could be.

The tiles and specifically the tile covers on the chimney stacks look similar to those found in several areas unfortunately the open bell tower also isn't really specific to any one area either.

Just to spread the risk I will plump for Northern Italy.