UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

Salve! Some clues: this baby is located at 138 meters above the sea level and it was built with granite blocks presumably by legionaries even if it is in a province where no legion was deployed during most of the principate It was probably finished by the time of Domitian or Traian. Today, it still gets vehicle traffic, and it is located near an international border.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

The bridge over the Guadiana at the city that used to be called Emerita Augusta?

Or isn't it the right bridge?

Yeah it was a great teamwork with Miguel who made this possible. Hope I'll get the chance to break another hard city with him soon! You guys really don't wanna know how much time I did spend looking for that bridge.

Now when we've got it, how can it be this infamous? It's a masterpiece. And by the way, ASCLEPIADES would you please give us some information about it? I would love to hear the whole story.

Salve! As K is asking for more and more, HERE is a lot of the best material for your nightmares, GPM. Unfortunately, the website is in Spanish, but the third link under the head "PONTES" goes to an excellent chapter in English. Be careful, technical translation is not always easy.

This beauty is certainly the Ponte Velho (sometimes "Velha"; "Old Bridge" in Portuguese) at Vila (one L) Formosa ("beautiful village"), in the municipality of Alter do Ch

As you know, it is always difficult to select the right picture for this thread. I apologize if this was not the case. I hope it was as amusing for you as it has been for me.

Don't apologize Asclepiades, the harder the picture, the better the game.

Indeed it is a beautiful bridge that you posted and I did enjoy searching for it, but I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd been able to find the bloody thing!! :lol:

Anyway who's up next?

Miguel??....... Klingan??

EDIT:

BTW Asclepiades, thats a interesting name you have, why don't you tell us a bit more about it by going to this thread on screen names.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5180&st=0

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus