UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

Very impressive :hammer:

I picked this one on architectural trait too, I'll write a little more about it tomorrow. I need some sleep now been at a pub tonight. Good night :(

Edited by Klingan

Here's my promised "Why I like this temple" thing.

The temple of Apollo at Didyma was begun in the Ionic order 330 bc. It was to replace the gigantic Achaic temple destroyed by the Persians in 494 bc. However it wasn't completed until 182/1 bc. Whats special about it is the false entrance. Inside the temple where the cella should have been there was a sacred groove into which you could enter through a pair of sloping vaults. Inside the groove there were a very small cella.

Here is a plan of the place.

Here's my promised "Why I like this temple" thing.

The temple of Apollo at Didyma was begun in the Ionic order 330 bc. It was to replace the gigantic Achaic temple destroyed by the Persians in 494 bc. However it wasn't completed until 182/1 bc. Whats special about it is the false entrance. Inside the temple where the cella should have been there was a sacred groove into which you could enter through a pair of sloping vaults. Inside the groove there were a very small cella.

Here is a plan of the place.

Would have been amazing to see it intact. The placement of the columns seems to be much denser than usual, is there a reason for that? It seems to me it could barely allow passage for a single person.

Since no one has stepped up, here's the next picture:

r1hi5.jpg

Edited by Maladict

It seems to me that in general Greek temples become more and more compact as time goes but that's just a feeling after many books on it nothing based on a fact. However considering how thick those columns are I'd say you go through with out a problem. That temple is 110x51 m (120 x 56 yards)

Great new picture btw! Give me a few hours to think about it.

It seems to me that in general Greek temples become more and more compact as time goes but that's just a feeling after many books on it nothing based on a fact. However considering how thick those columns are I'd say you go through with out a problem. That temple is 110x51 m (120 x 56 yards)

Great new picture btw! Give me a few hours to think about it.

Ah yes, scale is everything B)

http://www.shunya.net/Pictures/Turkey/Aege...key/didyma2.jpg

It's reminding me of the temple of mercery at baia but I'm quite sure that the cupola there have an oculus and it should have other proportions. The search will go on.

It's reminding me of the temple of mercery at baia but I'm quite sure that the cupola there have an oculus and it should have other proportions. The search will go on.

No need, it is Baia.

The 'temple of Mercury' indeed has an oculus, but it also has two bigger sisters.

http://www.ulixes.it/images/i_mappa_terme.gif