UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Maladict

Guess the ancient city!

So, a day and no suggestions yet ?

Am I in the right place - Spain or Portugal? That's where I'm searching

I suspsect we should be looking further east and north again - somewhere along the Danube frontier again perchance?

I suspsect we should be looking further east and north again - somewhere along the Danube frontier again perchance?

Yes- the church looks very middle European - except that palm tree led me to Spain!

One thing for sure I'm wishing I had the time and money to visit all these wonderful places I'm looking at - and another thing is what a grand way to learn more about the ancient Romans by looking at a lovely photo and then reading a bit about that site's history

In fact one day I hope to take part in some serious discussions here! B)

Back to the search......

I missed that but one problem to consider is that 'palms' and things that look like them from a distance can be grown even as far north as Britian if they are in sheltered areas.

On second thought this site could have a couple of more southern aspect than I originally suggested even as far 'south' as Cyprus although I suspect not Sicily:(

I missed that but one problem to consider is that 'palms' and things that look like them from a distance can be grown even as far north as Britian if they are in sheltered areas.

On second thought this site could have a couple of more southern aspect than I originally suggested even as far 'south' as Cyprus although I suspect not Sicily:(

Perhaps a clue might be coming soon.... :huh:

The church looks catholic with those double bell towers so I will go for Italy.

You are right as this is indeed a catholic church in a neo-byzantine architecture. Yet all the areas you mentionned up until now are wrong... Let's just add a clue : the church's patron saint is a famous man who lived in the roman city shown in the picture...

A catholic church in neo-byzantine style? Unusual. It must be in Greece.

Is it in Prague? I'm a bit rusty with patron saints from Europe but I think St Wencelas was from there - and there are Roman ruins there

Should we be looking along or near the Adriatic coast then for this site?