UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

No giveaway really. I was a bit baffled by the church, as it has such diverse elements (French, Arab-Andalusian, neobyzantine), so I settled on French northern Africa.

The setting is not unlike the basilica at Carthage, but I was quite sure Tunisia doesn't have a church quite like this one.

That's when I looked at Algeria, the part of it closest to Tunisia and found it.

unrvk.jpg

No giveaway really. I was a bit baffled by the church, as it has such diverse elements (French, Arab-Andalusian, neobyzantine), so I settled on French northern Africa.

The setting is not unlike the basilica at Carthage, but I was quite sure Tunisia doesn't have a church quite like this one.

That's when I looked at Algeria, the part of it closest to Tunisia and found it.

unrvk.jpg

Looks a bit like my backyard at present ;)

Is it a site on Crete?

It has something of a dry dusty look about it so should we be looking to the south of the Med again for our answer?

This is certainly a hard one to pick especially for a novice like me, however as I'm really enjoying my trip around the Roman Empire while I try to identify your site, I'll keep on going!

My pick for tonight is Albania .......

In that case should we be considering somewhare in mainland Greece?

No to both.

I should at this time point out that although Romans were here, the site is known primarily for its pre-Roman era.

This is really difficult - mainly because we have had some (lots) wine here Down Under to celebrate a certain wedding in post Roman Britain

Are we in the Black Sea region?

No to both.

I should at this time point out that although Romans were here, the site is known primarily for its pre-Roman era.

This is really difficult - mainly because we have had some (lots) wine here Down Under to celebrate a certain wedding in post Roman Britain

Are we in the Black Sea region?

Not the Black Sea, and it has never been British either :)

Although it has attracted the attention of the British military recently.

Could it be somewhere along the coast of the Adriatic, previously part of Yugoslavia?

After your clue about British military attention I would guess the site is in Libya - but you wrote earlier that it wasn't south of the Med - so now I'm thinking it might be in Iraq.....;)