UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Reconstruction Of Things........

Does anyone here worship the Roman Gods......I do......does anyone reconstruct Roman homes and such, Roman way of life using modern techologly. If anyone is a Roman Pagan please tell me about it...I want to know more about the spirtual world of anceicet Rome. I sacrfice but I don't animal sacrfice I pray and I have an altar. Sounds kind of imature but I do take it quiet seriously. I am just wondering. I also want to build a villa in Ireland or the Western United States. Any tips for reconstruction?

Cheers,Zeke

Don't do any of that stuff personally Zeke. I believe Ursus may have some more insight on the religious aspect of things.

Hiya, Zeke.

I've been involved in Roman and Hellenic Reconstructionism for a while ... I'm more Roman than Hellenic, I guess.

Nova Roma is one organization, although they seem to concentrate more on petty infighting than anything else. Another organization I highly recommend is www.societasviaromana.org, specifically the religious college.

Also, Zeke, Reconstructionists of various cultures hang out at the Axe and Oak. http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=337

Please join us there. It's lonely in the Roman section. Most Reconstructionists these days seem to be Celtic.

I want to know more about the spirtual world of anceicet Rome.

Well, I'll just re-post a brief summary I made in another forum.

Introduction

nice post Ursus :unsure:

just the link to the List of Deities of yours is not working,

however we have one too right here at unrv. :)

http://www.unrv.com/culture/mythology.php

on top are the links to Major Gods, Minor Gods, Adopted Gods and Imperial Cult

cheers

viggen

Well I am not exaclly a Roman Roman Pagan.........but more a less a Greek Pagan but the Romans incorperate the Greek Religion into their system so I also highly appreciete all the stuff you have given me Thanks Ursus and Viggen.

sorry about spelling

Zeke

And one last thing I am going to be camping for a week so don't email me or leave derect messages. See you when I get back

Cheers,

Zeke

sorry about spelling

...an interesting question would be what the latest historical evidence of pagan worship is, i assume it pretty much came to a stop around the late 5th century, but i could imagine that there were pockets that survived to the late 8th or 9th century?

Well into the middle ages in secret, reactivated as fashionable alternatives from the Rennaisance onward, but with Christianity dominant and in post Roman times very intolerant of paganism, it was never going to gain any popular acceptance.

For instance,...

http://www.loyno.edu/~history/journal/1986-7/horton.htm

In his 'Penguin Atlas of Medieval History' Colin McEvedy states that the last pagans were around at the time of Heraclius (early 7th century). I don't know what his source was, however. 

A year or two ago on BBC I saw a news article about modern greeks who have started worshipping the old gods, dressing in ancient greek clothes and going to Delphi etc etc. As an agnostic verging on atheism I say good look to them, at least it is a religion directly ancestral to their own culture. The thing that made me laugh was an Orthodox bishop, saying they were infantile and that their religion was nonsense. Really? From someone who believes that a guy walked on water and rose from the dead?

• Like 2

There's a view (which I don't share) that tradition creates credibility - how Roman is that? The Greek pagans are doing what most reconstructists have always done and created a cult of their own for fashionable alternative - or just as likely, the buzz of doing so, of being slightly rebellious and exclusive of mainstream public. For that matter the Romans had shown this sort of behaviour too, with egyptian and Syrian cults proving hard to subside. McEverdy is looking at established and recognised pagan religions in the early medieval world, but of course, his attention is only on such religions within the otherwise Christian sphere. Into the medieval period for instance the Teutonic Knights and other crusaders fought deep into what is now Prussia and Lithuania against people who were definitely not Christian.

• Like 1