UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Vandals apparently topple Pompeii column

@Nephele and Augusta,

I figured my comment would draw some responses :ph34r:

Don't get me wrong, I don't just shrug it off like it's nothing, I like archaeology as much as anyone.

I just think it's a little odd a toppled column gets all this attention. Things get stolen from Pompeii on a weekly basis, things get damaged on a daily basis. That's what thousands of tourists roaming freely and sub-par security will do to a place as famous as Pompeii. I've been there many times, and almost every year you can see the changes. There's only one way to stop it, but that of course will never happen, you need to be realistic. Pompeii is about the only place that draws tourist money to southern Italy (I'm exaggerating here).

I know firsthand how frustrating it is when archaeological finds are snatched away or destroyed when you turn away for just a moment, but it will happen again as it has always happened. Pompeii, too, has been slowly ruined right from the beginning, in the 18th century. A bit of an incoherent rant here, I see, but I hope it gets some of my thoughts across.

@Neos Dionysos

Pompeii's security is not up to par with the Colosseum or the other places you mentioned, but that would hardly be possible given its size. The stray dogs actually do provide a service in that regard, albeit (mostly) unintended. There was a debate about installing cameras throughout the city to keep an eye on the tourists, but I believe it was rejected on aesthetic grounds (as well as cost, I'd imagine).

@Nephele and Augusta,

I figured my comment would draw some responses :ph34r:

Don't get me wrong, I don't just shrug it off like it's nothing, I like archaeology as much as anyone.

I just think it's a little odd a toppled column gets all this attention. Things get stolen from Pompeii on a weekly basis, things get damaged on a daily basis. That's what thousands of tourists roaming freely and sub-par security will do to a place as famous as Pompeii. I've been there many times, and almost every year you can see the changes. There's only one way to stop it, but that of course will never happen, you need to be realistic. Pompeii is about the only place that draws tourist money to southern Italy (I'm exaggerating here).

I know firsthand how frustrating it is when archaeological finds are snatched away or destroyed when you turn away for just a moment, but it will happen again as it has always happened. Pompeii, too, has been slowly ruined right from the beginning, in the 18th century. A bit of an incoherent rant here, I see, but I hope it gets some of my thoughts across.

Ah, now I get you, Maladict. Sorry if I misinterpreted you.

@Neos Dionysos

Pompeii's security is not up to par with the Colosseum or the other places you mentioned, but that would hardly be possible given its size. The stray dogs actually do provide a service in that regard, albeit (mostly) unintended. There was a debate about installing cameras throughout the city to keep an eye on the tourists, but I believe it was rejected on aesthetic grounds (as well as cost, I'd imagine).

This reminds me that on one of my visits to Rome, I was chatting to a guy who said the Forum was a dangerous place at night because it was full of dogs! Now, at the time I thought he meant real guard dogs, employed by the government to guard the place, but he may well have been referring to these strays.

Absolutely agreed, Maladict. That

@Nephele and Augusta,

I figured my comment would draw some responses :)

This goes to prove that the moniker 'Maladict' has deep, esoteric, and dare I say, arcane mean ing! :P

:ph34r:

Hehe - and here was I thinking it was his own clever little pun on a certain pope's name ;):)

@Nephele and Augusta,

I figured my comment would draw some responses :)

This goes to prove that the moniker 'Maladict' has deep, esoteric, and dare I say, arcane mean ing! :P

:ph34r:

Hehe - and here was I thinking it was his own clever little pun on a certain pope's name :);)

Maledict is the goth version of Pope Benedict. That's why I like him so. :)

-- Nephele