UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

March 07 Essay Entry

Primus Pilus

Having been brought up with an English literature and literary criticism background as well as an historical one, I really enjoyed this, Wot! It was a well-argued essay, but there was only one thing that concerned me a little. Although you have limited yourself to the study of Tacitus for this particular topic, your opening sets out the theory of the didactic nature of the Roman historiographers' work as a whole, and I would have welcomed a couple more examples of this - perhaps Livy, Velleius, even Suetonius, and the influence on this type of history that was set by Thucydides. But this is only a tiny point - I just think it would have really underlined your case and would have served as a springboard for us to examine Tacitus even more critically. How did his viewpoint differ to others? Is there further evidence from other non-literary sources to support the use of literary devices in Livy or Suetonius et al?

I loved the viewpoint of Tacitus using his 'barbarians' as a literary device from which to comment on all that was good or bad in the Rome of his day and the higher morals of the past. It was a very persuasive piece and was well-written and well-constructed. I'd love to discuss this further with you and the rest of the community. A great read, Wot!

I very much enjoyed this essay in particular. I have a personal affinity for deliberation on the authenticity, the motives, etc. of the ancient sources and WW provided an excellent overview of Tacitus. For whatever reason, I am just personally drawn to such conjecture.

I would have liked for the final paragraph to be stronger in its stance on what Tacitus was attempting to convey (as this would've supported the excellent summary of evidence previously presented). Regardless, for me, this essay was quite close to a prize. I think it's readily apparent that WW can be a very strong and effective writer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi sorry I'm a new member so I have a question to ask. How come I can't download the attached documents? Is it because my membership isn't fully activated? I'm very interested in Tacitus and would like very much to read this essay. Thanks!

Hi sorry I'm a new member so I have a question to ask. How come I can't download the attached documents? Is it because my membership isn't fully activated? I'm very interested in Tacitus and would like very much to read this essay. Thanks!

It's been fixed, you should be able to download it now.

It's been fixed, you should be able to download it now.

Got it. Thanks!