UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
M. Porcius Cato

De Patre Vostro (Episode 22)

Looks like Primus Pilus nailed it, with his prediction that Caesarion would escape with his dad, Titus Pullo, and the two would live happily ever after.

-- Nephele

Fun last episode, but Atia outlived the series.

The death of Antony was a fine bit of drama. The 'last night' interaction between he and Vorenus was among my favorite scenes.

It was irritating that Caesarion and Atia managed to outlive their historical counterparts, but in the end it was a satisfying 2 year run. It truly is a shame that Bruno Heller only wrote two of this season's episodes or there might have been a greater ground swell of support.

I don't want to seem bitter but but there was nothing about that episode i liked. Pullo and Vorenus are nothing but traitors who murder their own fellow Roman soldiers to protect a enemy of Rome. Pullo especially seems to revel in the fact he is betraying Octavian even though Octavian treats him with more respect and friendship than Pullo deserves. I found myself cheering for Memmio and Octavian in the series, at least they didn't kid themselves what they wanted was supreme power, unlike Vorenus and Pullo who had to give grain to the people in order to deal with the crimes they were commiting. Also the fact that Atia was allowed to not only live but laugh in everyones face and that all the crimes she committed during the series was noble just really bothered me. But the very ending of the show with Caesarian swearing vengeance on Octavian Caesar while walking hand in hand with Pullo through the streets of Rome was the icing on the cake. I hope there is never a season 3, because they butchered what could of been a fine show.

in the end it was a satisfying 2 year run.

I agree. Whatever the minor (and growing list of) historical inaccuracies, it was a good series. I hope they don't "strike the set": Rome itself looked great.

I don't want to seem bitter but but there was nothing about that episode i liked. Pullo and Vorenus are nothing but traitors who murder their own fellow Roman soldiers to protect a enemy of Rome. Pullo especially seems to revel in the fact he is betraying Octavian even though Octavian treats him with more respect and friendship than Pullo deserves. I found myself cheering for Memmio and Octavian in the series, at least they didn't kid themselves what they wanted was supreme power, unlike Vorenus and Pullo who had to give grain to the people in order to deal with the crimes they were commiting. Also the fact that Atia was allowed to not only live but laugh in everyones face and that all the crimes she committed during the series was noble just really bothered me. But the very ending of the show with Caesarian swearing vengeance on Octavian Caesar while walking hand in hand with Pullo through the streets of Rome was the icing on the cake. I hope there is never a season 3, because they butchered what could of been a fine show.

Actium, anyone? Did they do it justice? Or was it a Pharsalus job?

The battle was implied. The show opened with Antony, Vorenus and a few survivors escaping in a row boat from the burning ships in the distant background.

Disappointing, but Purefoy is just such a damned fine actor that I didn't really care.

I agree, Season Two wasn't as good as one, but it was rushed, and at least it still kept me interested. If they make a third season, I wish they would do a prequel and go back to Marius and Sulla, but this is probably just wishful thinking. Now I will need to re-watch I Clavdivs.

Those scenes with Vorenus and Antonius were great. "That's how a Roman drinks!" Excellently done. I'm a bit surprised they didn't fast forward to 27 and see the Augustification of Octavian (ooh, neologism!) but it's okay.

What killed the show for me, of course, was the lack of baby Julia. How dare they show a nobody like Antonia and not involve the great descendant of Venus and the daughter of the Emperor. Hmph!

That said, I do feel really sad that the show is over. I maintain that the soapish elements of the show would have worked great for the I, Claudius era of the principate.

Alas and alack, put out the lamps, the play is done! We had our quibbles with some of the historical details, but all in all, it was a helluva good series. Finally some real meat for historical fans. When you consider this came right after that dreadful network program Empire, that covered some of the same time, but was unwatchable, we lucked out.

I don't think HBO plans another series, but with the success of 300, more films about antiquity are probably a certainty.

Alas and alack, put out the lamps, the play is done! We had our quibbles with some of the historical details, but all in all, it was a helluva good series. Finally some real meat for historical fans. When you consider this came right after that dreadful network program Empire, that covered some of the same time, but was unwatchable, we lucked out.

I don't think HBO plans another series, but with the success of 300, more films about antiquity are probably a certainty.

Conscript Fathers, one more question. I was out of town last week so I didn't get a chance to ask- When Gaiia does her deathbead confession, she says she doesn't want to face Nemesis with a lie in her heart. Can some learned doctor of religion kindly explain to me the meaning of this?

I completelly agree with Septimius Flavius Galarius. We could have expected somthing better in the last episode and far more drama than we had. While Vorenus stays loyal to Antonius, Pullo betrays Octavian without any hesitation. The last scene of episode 10 I find just stupid.

While I still consider Rome as good show, I find many things which I dont like. The worst of all is - that after watching it all - I feel that they started making this show without having the script ready and that they were changing storyline many times, in the completelly inconsequent ways. New subplots appear and dissapear without bringing any weight to the main story. Some people come or leave - nothing would have changed if their characters werent introduced at all. In some of episodes they focus action on things which are without any importance for the story. I think it is better when one person or the same group of people writes the script from the begining to end. It is a pity that such great TV show had such a pathetic finish.

Conscript Fathers, one more question. I was out of town last week so I didn't get a chance to ask- When Gaiia does her deathbead confession, she says she doesn't want to face Nemesis with a lie in her heart. Can some learned doctor of religion kindly explain to me the meaning of this?

I'm not a learned doctor of religion, but I can provide the following information from my interest in classical goddesses. Nemesis was not only the personification of divine vengeance, she was also, along with Dice (Justice) and Themis (Order), one of the assistants of Zeus/Jupiter in his recognized capacity as the founder of law and order. Gaia's crime was already severe enough to warrant the attention of Nemesis, but to lie to Nemesis would presumably be the equivalent of perjuring oneself before a judge -- which could only compound one's guilt and earn a harsher sentence for oneself in the afterlife.

-- Nephele

I thought the reaction of Antony to Cleopatra's death was overdone and perhaps could have been cut a little. However, I agree with PP that the scene with Antony and Vorenus getting drunk was probably one of the best and I liked the interchange where Vorenus dismisses Greek notions about the afterlife in a summary fashion. The disdain that certain Romans felt for Greek theories about the nature of the world is apparent in that scene, especially those Romans who sincerely believed in the power of their gods over their fates.

Octavian was very wooden in most of the scenes and I didn't care much for the older Octavian. By contrast, the younger, precocious Octavian was probably one of the best characters of the show. Antony was also very well portrayed by Purefoy, who is a fine actor.

I do think the casting fell by the wayside in the second season and I just could not relate to Agrippa, Livia or the other sidekick of Octavian (I forget his name). Comparing the two seasons, the first one was brilliant and the second, quite mediocre, with many forgettable episodes. Somehow, the death of Caesar cast a shadow on everything and things appeared to have taken a dramatic slide after the final episode of Season 1.

I do think the casting fell by the wayside in the second season and I just could not relate to Agrippa, Livia or the other sidekick of Octavian (I forget his name).

Erm...Maecenas!

Actually, this saddens me, Skarr. If there were ever three strong characters of the late Republic/early Principate it was precisely this little unofficial triumvirate. What a pity the writers and casting directors didn't see it that way. (I haven't seen the performances yet, of course - but I trust your judgement - especially as of the three of these actors, I've only ever seen one before).