UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

As my birthday treat my good lady wife :wub: has organized a surprise trip for us to Rome party-smiley-018.gifparty-smiley-017.gif

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips or advice on places to visit ( aside from the obvious), places to eat and drink, transport, best times of day to visit the sites, what to do, what not to do, etc etc etc.

I've been to Rome once before but that was on a football trip to see my beloved Leeds play Roma in the champions league......ohhhh happy days, so because of that I didn't get anytime to see the sights properly.

We fly out on Thursday morning so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

THANKS.

Learn how to speak Neapolitan - quick.

Drink lots of strega.

Use the bus system and the Metro.

Drink lots of grappa.

Pay no attention to drivers - they'll stop for you.

Put your trust in everyone you deal with.

If you must drive, drive on the wrong side of the road - everyone else does.

Walking shoes.

Lots of pounds.

Drink the house wine.

Eat dinner at 'Tre Scallini' in the Piazza Navona.

The House of Nero.

A good map. (Brendtson City Streets of Rome)

Gelato! Panini! Pizza! Sea food! And na sfogliatelle.

English speaking guides at the Colosseum will give you a tour of the place and you will by-pass the waiting crowd. Inexpensive.

:P

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Woah, how ironic my friend is going to Italy for a soccer tournament. All I have to say is if you plan on buying or eating out, you're going to have to load up on money it's very expensive there.

I've been to Rome once before but that was on a football trip to see my beloved Leeds play Roma in the champions league......ohhhh happy days, so because of that I didn't get anytime to see the sights properly

THANKS.

I didn't know you'd actually been there when Trajan erected his column, GPM! ;)

Now, on to serious things: If it's Rome, I'm your gal. I've been over 20 times! First of all - ignore that little Ram regarding expensive eating places. If you make sure you eat where the Italians eat - places with no fuss and plain decor etc. you will get good value for money. There was a place called 'Angela and Ausilio's' up off the Via Ventre Settembre that was absolutely fantastic for home-made cuisine at a snip, which I've recommended to umpteen people throughout the ages. I'm revisiting the old place myself in October so I really hope the little trattoria is still there. But there are lots of these family run places - try around the railway station (but make sure you're not there too late at night). If you want to PM me before your departure I can maybe offer some tips. Is your hotel centrally located etc?

The best way around is on foot (I stressed in your birthday thread about footwear!) but at least one trip must be taken in a cab. You haven't lived until you've been in a taxi in Rome! I shall leave you to find out this adventure for yourself!

If you approach St. Peter's up Via Ottaviano, beware when you reach Risorgimento - its a great junction where the traffic comes at you from five directions at once! :D This is the way most tourists would approach if going by tube/metro, as the station is Ottaviano. Other non-Roman sites worth seeing are - obviously - the Trevi fountain (you will feel the temperature drop even from the side streets approaching it); Piazza Navona; the Villa Borghese and its museum (if you're an art person, there are two original Caravaggios (not to mention other great masters - Borodino's John the Baptist is there in all its glory); the Vatican and Capitoline Museums (thump Cicero again for me, would you ;) - sorry MPC!) and if you do get out to Hadrian's little pad at Tivoli, please, please tell me about it, because I've never been!

You can tell I love the place, eh? But even for atheists (me), St. Peter's is well worth a visit, for the art alone, and Michelangelo's 'Pieta' will leave you breathless - I promise. St. Paul's without the Walls is also a good one to visit for art treasures. Phew! ... I'll think of some others, but I need to know how long you're going for. :D

Ah...Roma!

Preface Edit: I didn't see Augusta's post..good stuff in there that shoul dtake precedence over what I say

Here is my two day whirlwind Rome excursion guide. You can do either day in either order depending on your schedule

Day One - Colloseum, Palantine, and Forum - You need a full day for these to get the most of them. Start at the Colloseum. The ticket gets you access to both it and the Palantine. Start there (early - lines can get long (at least at peak times)). Once you take it all in (check out the bookshop/giftstore on the upper level) go to the Palantine and stroll through it. Hold onto your tickets, I think they are still good for 24-48 hours so you can go back if you have time. Have a lunch (plenty of stuff nearby) and stroll through the forum for the rest of the day. Make sure you bring binoculars to see the details on Trajan's column. I can't remember the name of any place specific but find a restaraunt near the Spanish steps for dinner...everything is great and it's a beautiful place to enjoy the evening.

Day Two - The Vatican Museum/St Peter's Square and Pantheon. Regardless of your religious beliefs, you must go to the Vatican museum to see all the treasures there. This should take you 1/2-3/4 of a day if done properly. Grab lunch and head to the Pantheon. After that, whatever elese you have time to or want to see, go for it.

Enjoy!

Edited by Publius Nonius Severus

For accommodations, I very strongly recommend the Forty-Seven. Across the street from the Round Temple and Temple to Hercules, you're also about as close to the Circus Maximus and Forum as you can get. The staff were amazing (fluent in English, German, and French); the room was chic and modern; the dining was exceptional. I only hesitate to recommend this hotel because I'm afraid the word will get out about how fabulous it is--and I want to keep it just the way it is.

(If you're using a digital camera, I'd also suggest you bring an extra battery.)

EDIT: For the PNS itinerary, the Forty-Seven is ideally situated.

EDIT 2: When you visit the Forum, try approaching from different entrances. Each one affords a different impression of the total space. My favorite is from the Tabilarium.

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Learn how to speak Neapolitan - quick.

:D

Sheer Nonsense! :D GPM - you'll understand the following reference: Roman's speak Italian with a cockney accent! (I really mean it) - but they're far easier to understand than those pesky Neapolitans! ;) There was an old Italian saying - a Roman tongue in a Tuscan mouth - meaning that the Romans speak the best Italian but the Milanese pronounce it best!

Do you speak Italian? GO and I could give you a few essential phrases. (But don't trust him)

For accommodations, I very strongly recommend the Forty-Seven. Across the street from the Round Temple and Temple to Hercules, you're also about as close to the Circus Maximus and Forum as you can get. The staff were amazing (fluent in English, German, and French); the room was chic and modern; the dining was exceptional. I only hesitate to recommend this hotel because I'm afraid the word will get out about how fabulous it is--and I want to keep it just the way it is.

(If you're using a digital camera, I'd also suggest you bring an extra battery.)

Lovely hotel Cato - I looked on the link. Only thing is - if GPM is leaving on Thursday, he will already have his hotel sorted out by now. But we can all certainly bear it in mind for the future. (Don't worry - we'll keep it to ourselves!)

Isn't it funny how this thread has generated so much enthusiasm from us? I wonder why.... ;)

Lovely hotel Cato - I looked on the link. Only thing is - if GPM is leaving on Thursday, he will already have his hotel sorted out by now.

I would cancel, and go to the Forty-Seven. For me at least, it was that good.

EDIT 2: When you visit the Forum, try approaching from different entrances. Each one affords a different impression of the total space. My favorite is from the Tabilarium.

Funny you should say that MPC because that is exactly where I am staying, the hotel looks amazing, like you say is ideally situated for all the major attractions, if it's good enough for MPC then it's good enough for GPM :D .

Oh and don't worry the extra packs of batteries are already packed :D

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

I would cancel, and go to the Forty-Seven. For me at least, it was that good.

At 400 euros a room it better be :D

Anyway, not much to add to what was already said.

If it's your first time in Rome, you should stick to the usual sights I guess, although if I were you I'd avoid the Trevi fountain and the Spanish Steps like the plague.

Oh, and watch your stuff in the metro. I've seen people get robbed too many times.

Edited by Maladict

If it's your first time in Rome, you should stick to the usual sights I guess, although if I were you I'd avoid the Trevi fountain and the Spanish Steps like the plague.

Why?

Oh, and watch your stuff in the metro. I've seen people get robbed too many times.

The secret is not to look like a tourist. I have travelled to Rome alone more times than I can count and nothing untoward has ever happened to me. But all cities carry the same dangers. As our GPM is from Leeds, don't worry Maladict, he'll be clued-up - and I don't mean any disrepespect to Leeds there.

Edited by The Augusta

Why?

I don't know, those places always make me want to throw up. Or go on a murdering rampage.

Either way, I like to avoid it if I can :D

There's something about the crowds there that makes them even more stupid and revolting than at other places like the Pantheon, which is usually really bad as well (crowd-wise of course, I would never insult the second most perfect Roman building).

The secret is not to look like a tourist. I have travelled to Rome alone more times than I can count and nothing untoward has ever happened to me.

Travelling alone is the key there. If you travel together you will nearly always stand out as tourists.

It will probably still be a little chilly there now. Enjoy yourself and don't worry about the bad guys. They will have spotted you, so use your head with your valuables. Keep your wallet in your front pocket and don't sling things on your back. Its probably not going to be very crowded.

ENJOY YOURSELF! That's an order from the god-Consul.

Funny you should say that MPC because that is exactly where I am staying, the hotel looks amazing, like you say is ideally situated for all the major attractions, if it's good enough for MPC then it's good enough for GPM :D

I'm thrilled for you! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Also, visit the Baths of Caracalla. They're not far from the Circus Maximus (just a short walk down the street as I recall), and for some reason, they were vastly less inundated with tourists than the Pantheon.

Walking to the Pantheon from your hotel, I think you can also stop by the largo di Torre Argentina, featuring some of the best republican structures to be found in Rome and--of course--the Theatre of Pompey (no longer visible).

Just reminiscing about Rome makes me want to book a ticket!

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Just reminiscing about Rome makes me want to book a ticket!

Agreed! Isn't it amazing - how serious we all are in our discussion on the Forum, and then we go all slushy about Rome. We're all Romantics - and I for one, am not ashamed of it.

Maladict - I see where you're coming from with the crowds - but it may not be quite so bad at this time of year. Hehe - I remember sitting in a little corner of the House of Livia years ago writing away one early morning and a couple of innocents strolled passed me asking questions and taking photos. I felt invaded! It's so stupid really. These monuments belong to everyone - I just wish others would treat them with the reverence we do. (Nobody mention Cicero, guys!) But I think you all know what I mean.

Also, visit the Baths of Caracalla. They're not far from the Circus Maximus (just a short walk down the street as I recall), and for some reason, they were vastly less inundated with tourists than the Pantheon.

Phew - are you sure your memory's serving you well here, Cato? As I recall, the Baths were a fair way out. But then you Americans and we Brits have very different definitions of 'short distances' :D

Edited by The Augusta