UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Valens

Resource Gap

I'm curious, how big would the resource(by resources I mean things like money, troops, etc.) gap have been between Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War?

It seems to me it would be a fairly large one, judging by Carthage's struggles in the mercenary war and also do to the destruction of their fleet. Cpurse, Im not sure how well Carthage rebuilt herself after the mercenary struggle, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Economically, Carthage was a powerhouse. Well, at least prior to the second Punic War. By the 2nd war, Rome dominated the sea, but Carthage rebuilt its economy mainly through the subjugation of Spain. Vast mineral wealth in that area certainly helped balance the scales economically.

Interesting question...

in the way the romans created new armies out of nowhere time after time, Rome must have had lots of money too at the time...

cheers

viggen

Interesting question...

in the way the romans created new armies out of nowhere time after time, Rome must have had lots of money too at the time...

cheers

viggen

That seems very true. Also, Polybius put the number of Romans and allies liable to military service at , the outbreak of the Second Punic War at 700, 000(which although seems to be exaggerated, would hint that the Romans easily had enough soldiers to create many armies).

Maybe the climate was different back then, but wasn't there outside of Carthage (and away from the coast) only desert, just like it is now?

Was it maybe that Carthage simply had not a big enough population to recruit more, even if they wanted/could?

cheers

viggen

You got to look at it this way in those days everything wasn't as expensive as it is now heck you could trade a donky for a fish! lol. The Romans had more man power though and all Italian. Carthage had mixes very few Carthgians were employed except for Sea Men and Carthgian Generals to command mixes of Nubians, Celts, Belrics, Spairnds etc.

Was it maybe that Carthage simply had not a big enough population to recruit more, even if they wanted/could?

I'm not very sure, but there were always mercenaries to recruit.

Hmmm. In terms of resources, I think Rome was the disadvantaged one. They, however, apparently had more ruthless leaders than Carthage.

Let me research a bit more.