UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Moonlapse

Recent Forum Upgrade

I've made some adjustments, let me know if anything improves.

Augusta, your browser actually crashes? What browser and version are you using? (Help > About)

I've made some adjustments, let me know if anything improves.

Augusta, your browser actually crashes? What browser and version are you using? (Help > About)

Yes, it does. I am using BT Yahoo. I did send the 'error report' off to Microsoft, but just got the usual stuff about downloading latest add-ins etc. I may do that in any case, but the browser is fine on other forums and everywhere else on the Internet.

As I am tearing my hair out now and can barely post in any thread at all, I am going to take a break for 24 hours to see if that helps things this end. See you all very soon.

Just editing to add: I have just signed in using IE7 instead of the Yahoo, Moon, and I encountered the same problems in the very thread I wanted to post in. So, I will leave things for a day, just to see if things settle.

Edited by The Augusta

Have you run a recent Windows update?

Is anyone else running into this problem?

I'm doing that now, Moon - thanks for the tip. As for others experiencing the problem - I did have a PM from GPN stating that on his return it took quite a while before he was able to post. But I am hopeful - as GPN is now sorted out, let's hope I will be too. Thanks for all your tireless efforts in this, Moon.

I'm doing that now, Moon - thanks for the tip. As for others experiencing the problem - I did have a PM from GPN stating that on his return it took quite a while before he was able to post. But I am hopeful - as GPN is now sorted out, let's hope I will be too. Thanks for all your tireless efforts in this, Moon.

Fortunately, his was fairly simple to solve since it had to do with his ISP's use of dynamic IP addresses. What concerns me about your problem is that its crashing your browser, which means theres not only problem with the forum software, but also your browser software.

I can't log in from work at all. I've tried clearing cache and cookies, but to no avail. But since I shouldn't be logging in from work anyway, I'm not going to complain.

However, even at home I encounter a few problems. The private messenger function in particular is strange. It says I have a new pm when I don't. It says I don't have a new pm when I do. I can't read the pms when they pop up. *shrugs*

Has anything changed with any of these problems?

Fortunately, his was fairly simple to solve since it had to do with his ISP's use of dynamic IP addresses. What concerns me about your problem is that its crashing your browser, which means theres not only problem with the forum software, but also your browser software.

Yes, I'm wondering if there is some incompatability somewhere along the line. I have been posting freely on another forum today - ran by LDM (if that means anything to you). This forum has also recently been updated but all seems to be well so far. What I find hard to understand with my problem is that I can go into certain threads and not others. I've done the updates, BTW. I will be back at work on Tuesday and will see if the same thing happens there. If not, then obviously I have a problem with Yahoo and Invision together as a unit.

I am sorry to be such a pain, Moonlaspe - I really am.

I am sorry to be such a pain, Moonlaspe - I really am.

Don't worry about it, you're not a pain. ;)

Is this other forum Invision 2.2.2?

Also, go to 'My Controls' then 'Board Settings' and make sure you are using the standard text editor and not the rich text editor. I think this may be part of the problem, since it uses a lot of Javascript.

Moon - I have just come on to my daughter's laptop - also using the Yahoo browser and have posted in the Senate without a problem. Therefore, I think that the problems I am having are to do with my own particular machine - so, please, do not tear your hair out anymore. It is clearly my own problem and I will solve it.

Thanks again for all your help.

BTW: I did check that I was using the 'standard editor' in My Controls. The other Forum I told you about was changed from an Invision board - if that's any help.

Edited by The Augusta

I've been searching and it seems quite a few people have problems using Invision forums with Internet Explorer, both 6 & 7. They claimed the issue has been fixed for about a year, so I'm not sure when or how it will be resolved. It seems to be random, since not all people using IE and not all Invision forums are affected. The only solution I can offer at the moment is to try using Firefox or Opera.

I've been searching and it seems quite a few people have problems using Invision forums with Internet Explorer, both 6 & 7. They claimed the issue has been fixed for about a year, so I'm not sure when or how it will be resolved. It seems to be random, since not all people using IE and not all Invision forums are affected. The only solution I can offer at the moment is to try using Firefox or Opera.

Thanks for this tip, Moon. After nearly parting with a lot of cash to buy a new machine, I decided just to try downloading the Firefox - and fingers crossed, things seem to have settled! I had thought that my hard drive was starting to die, but the browser did only ever crash when in certain threads of UNRV, so I'll keep cheerful and plod on for a while. - Thanks again - you are a star.

It seems like the poll function is not working. I tried to create one but it did not show up on the thread itself.

I am noticing that if we post quickly, one after the other, quoting earlier posters in a thread, the interface now shows us two posts instead of the one as it used to. This is not a complaint at all - I just mention it as a difference from the old style. Is there a software reason for it?

It seems like the poll function is not working. I tried to create one but it did not show up on the thread itself.

I'll check this out.

I am noticing that if we post quickly, one after the other, quoting earlier posters in a thread, the interface now shows us two posts instead of the one as it used to. This is not a complaint at all - I just mention it as a difference from the old style. Is there a software reason for it?

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are saying.