UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What's Your Pet Peeve

Also, when people gratuitously change place names. Bombay is now Mumbai, Burma is now Myanmar, Madras is now Chennai, Ceylon is now Sri Lanka. Really irritating.

I am so with you on people changing place names.

There's a wonderful town in Yorkshire that used to be called "Shitlington", but over the years as it merged with other suburbs of Thornhill it gradually came to be called by the less colorful name of "Middlestown". I know this, because my man is researching his family genealogy, and he found this town on the 1881 and 1891 British Census.

But wait! There's more... During his genealogical research, my man not only found an ancestor who had been born in the aforementioned town of Shitlington, this unfortunate ancestor also happened to live on "Butts Lane".

-- Nephele

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) i love those old place names :lol:

Butts lane must of been close or on a Archery Butt,a medieval shooting range for Archery training.

Hip-Hop, Rap, Gangsta Rap, and corn fed white kids from places like North Dakota dressing like Tupac Shakur and talking like they grew up in some inner city ghetto all their lives...

Almost the whole hip-hop, gangsta rap culture is garbage. Yes I'll admit that some things like early-NWA rise above the norm, but by and large its been a detriment to black youth in my opinion.

I will admit to laughing when I see suburban white kids in Seattle acting like they're growing up on some inner-city 'mean streets'.

Also, when people gratuitously change place names. Bombay is now Mumbai, Burma is now Myanmar, Madras is now Chennai, Ceylon is now Sri Lanka. Really irritating.

There's a wonderful town in Yorkshire that used to be called "Shitlington", but over the years as it merged with other suburbs of Thornhill it gradually came to be called by the less colorful name of "Middlestown". I know this, because my man is researching his family genealogy, and he found this town on the 1881 and 1891 British Census.

But wait! There's more... During his genealogical research, my man not only found an ancestor who had been born in the aforementioned town of Shitlington, this unfortunate ancestor also happened to live on "Butts Lane".

-- Nephele

I wished Westerners would stop calling Sai Gon ---> Ho Chi Minh City. In fact, ask any Vietnamese in South Vietnam or any Viet in California, they'll call it the original name(they are also very anti-Communist, so never Ho Chi Minh glorifyingly in front of a Vietnamese person).

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

1) Noisy eaters - slurping and swallowing are the most repellent noises in existence, as well as casual burping.

2) People whom I barley know - in a lot of instances they are normally people that I only spoke to once at a party - talking to me early in the morning, while on I am on my way to college/work, when I am listening to music. I don't know you, therefore your opinions are meaningless during the god-forsaken hours of the morning!

3) People whom I know speaking to me during the early hours of the morning. I know you, and, in all probability, like you, but this isn't the time for t

There's a wonderful town in Yorkshire that used to be called "Shitlington"

-- Nephele

Thankfully, Gems such as Penistone, Goole and Chipping Sodbury are still around, much to everyone's delight. The French town of Condom also raises a smile... :) but I thought you would appreciate these!

'In The Hall of the Mountain King' by Grieg (Peer Gynt suite). I feel like curling up with embarrassment every time I hear it. The kind of people I mentioned in my last but one post on this thread probably think its great, given that they have 'always sort of liked classical music, really.' At least, since Robbie Williams and Wayne Rooney said they sort of liked it.

Edited by Northern Neil

Say I am at a big 4 way intersection, going straight through the light and there is a gas station or fast food place on the right corner of the aforementioned intersection (may not apply to my British friends), I absolutely loathe when some knucklehead tries to take a left out of there across at least three lanes of traffic of people waiting for the light... :)

I'm on my motorbike, on a main road, and ahead, a road to the left joins the main road. A car approaches the junction - and the driver immediately looks LEFT and starts to pull out. I peep my horn - letting said driver know I am there, and not wanting to be over his/her car roof with a snapped neck. The driver then looks right, sees me, looks at me as if I'm dirt for reminding him that the traffic most likely to hit him actually comes from the right, and brakes. Sorry, but I dont want to end up dead, by the way! Why pull up to a junction, and immediately look the OPPOSITE way to the traffic nearest to you? And yes, most of you car drivers always do it. Why? Please tell! (for our US friends, simply transpose all the directions. Yes Pantagathus, I have experienced your peeve also.)

Here it is again: If you approach a'T' junction, LOOK IN THE DIRECTION OF THE NEAREST TRAFFIC TO YOU. YOU MIGHT JUST SAVE A LIFE!!!! :)

Edited by Northern Neil

'In The Hall of the Mountain King' by Grieg (Peer Gynt suite). I feel like curling up with embarrassment every time I hear it. The kind of people I mentioned in my last but one post on this thread probably think its great, given that they have 'always sort of liked classical music, really.' At least, since Robbie Williams and Wayne Rooney said they sort of liked it.

And on this same note, Neil - anything by Tchaikovsky - who is a composer most people grow out of when they are 16! Nice tunes, Pyotr - but come on - really.... It's all so self-indulgent!

And on this same note, Neil - anything by Tchaikovsky - who is a composer most people grow out of when they are 16! Nice tunes, Pyotr - but come on - really.... It's all so self-indulgent!

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! 1812 overture is every bit as bad as 'mountain king'!!!

There's a wonderful town in Yorkshire that used to be called "Shitlington"

-- Nephele

Thankfully, Gems such as Penistone, Goole and Chipping Sodbury are still around, much to everyone's delight. The French town of Condom also raises a smile... :) but I thought you would appreciate these!

You're right, I did appreciate those! But you can't beat Knob Lick, Kentucky.

And, just to get back on topic... My own pet peeve...

Well, that's got to be people who pick their noses in their cars. People picking their noses just about anyway is pretty bad, but when it comes to doing it in public they seem to do it more often in their cars than anywhere else. You know, you'll be driving along, and you'll come up on someone in the next lane and, OMG, there he is, picking his nose. Probably thinking that nobody is looking. But, of course, YOU are looking. You can't HELP but look. And there he is with a digit up there doing some serious spelunking. And if you're not the driver of your own car but instead you're a helpless passenger, you're thinking please, please, please, pass this guy before he pulls his finger out and you catch a glimpse of a long, sticky greenie attached to the end of his finger. DON'T LOOK, you tell yourself. But, even if you don't look, you still KNOW he's going to pull something awful out of his nose. So you've got your mind's eye torturing you, no matter what you do. The minute you inadvertently spot a nose-picker, you're basically screwed.

-- Nephele