UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Post Roman Empire Forum

I came up with the idea of make a post Roman Empire Forum. Of course this is just an idea but I would like to take everyone's opinion. I know this forum is dedicated to ancient Roman history but wonder if anyone else would be interested.

I always thought "the Byzantines" should have their own subfolder under the Imperium section, to compliment the Republic and Empire subfolders. The rest of the "post-Roman" studies (Medieval and Rennaisance) could be easily combined with the Universal Studies folder.

But our now absent Imperator didn't seem to like the idea. *shrugs* Anyway, I'm biased as I rarely go into the post-Roman folder.

As the Postilla Historia Romanorum forum is essentially an extension of Roman history, I moved it from it's own category to its new location as a subforum of the main Roman history area.

Changed the names of Republic to Res Publica and Empire to Imperium.

Relocated the little used Ask the Expert and Author fora to subfora of the Academia folder.

I'm always open to additional suggestions.

If Roman history up to 1453 is included in the Imperium Romanorum subfolder, shouldn't it be possible to discuss the history of other nations up to the fifteenth century in the Peregrini forum?

Well we are walking fine lines. Look at this way... Most of us consider 'Byzantium' a direct extension of Rome. While much of feudal Europe can trace its heritage back to Rome, its not a continuation by any stretch.

Some discussion may be appropriate and some may be better in the Universal history folder. No worries though, we can easily move things around or make adjustments as necessary.

If Roman history up to 1453 is included in the Imperium Romanorum subfolder, shouldn't it be possible to discuss the history of other nations up to the fifteenth century in the Peregrini forum?

I think the original intent of the forum peregrini was to have a place to discuss how certain cultures directly effected the Roman Empire (and when I mean "Roman" I mean primarily the original Western empire, not the Byzantine extension). That way people could discuss Ancient Greece, the Celts and other related cultures.

What you're proposing might take us well beyond those narrow boundaries.

I'm not necessarily against the idea, but I think it would mean a shifting of the fora. There would be no clear dividing line between the forum peregrini, the post Roman history folder, and the universal history folder.

The change seems very nice, (after the initial confusion) but I somehow feel that Archaeological News: Rome's new spot is just a little hidden. Just a feeling.

I hope you guys like the new organization of the fora. Among other things, it was designed to separate the non-Roman aspects of the site from the Roman, as evidenced by the new "world cultures, history and archaeology" section.

If there are any other concerns or suggestions, please let us know.