UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The discovery of America:

He should have claimed it all for Venice :wine:

I never understand why people would want their life's work destroyed. If your theories don't hold up to your perfectionism fine, but at least leave your data sets for posterity. Such a waste...

• 3 months later...
This story is full of speculation. I doubt she had anything relevant to say.

I tend to agree. I also tend to think the importance of the story is an exaggeration, despite the internal claims to the contrary. The founding of a single "church" in the New World is hardly "revolutionary," especially if it and its associated settlement disappeared almost immediately without leaving a single trace. Further, this "settlement" must have been pretty unsubstantial if it left fewer traces than`did Vinland at L'Anse Aux Meadows.

Edited by Marcus Caelius

Dr Alwyn Ruddock, a former reader in history at the University of London, was the world expert on John Cabot's discovery voyages from Bristol to North America (1496-98). What she was said to have found out about these voyages looked set to re-write the history of the European discovery of America. Yet, when Dr Ruddock died in December 2005, having spent four decades researching this topic, she ordered the destruction of all her research....

Bristol University

I'm sensing a cover up...... :D