UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Am I just slow?

Explanation of what I mean in the last statement. A gathering in of influences rather than a spreading out.

The greatness of Greece was as much drawn from the outside as inside greece. Macedon, Sicily, Persia, Egypt, Turkey and the Islands.

Rome from Etruria, Greece, Egypt, Spain, Near east, north africa, the Celts. The ground was fertile metaphorically speaking. Greece and Rome were firsts among equals not suddenly appearing out of thin air.

In North America the advances spread from the Yucatan with the Olmecs, to the Mayans, Toltecs and then to Central Mexico with the Aztecs and then northward.

It's all wrong the arrows only go in one direction outwards from a point rather than a naturally evolving coalescence. No wonder kooks come up with aliens as an explanation. It doesn't add up.

Edited by Tribunicus Potestus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem for ancients coming to the new world is not technical. Anything that doesn't sink will reach the west following the trade winds. An african fishing boat accidentally arrived by accident in the recent past. A european car was modified to be sea worthy and came over. Yachts and small boats make the crossing all the time.

The problem is purely psychological. Fear of the unknown and motivation "why go". Answer these two and all arguments against ancient contact lose power. I thought I had the answer but it had a large gaping and obvious hole. So I am back to square one.

The "they sailed only by day" argument belies the evidence of the Great Pharos at Alexandria. No one would build a stupendous light house if they were not already a common and proven concept.

I hate this, I feel like the blinded Polyphemus what I seek is just outside my grasp. Arrghhhh! I know the proof is there but I can't lay my hands on it. "Who did this to you?" "No man." "If no man did it then it must have been a god and we can't fight the gods."

Arghhh!

For the same reasons that I don't believe in aliens coming to earth, I believe contacts with the ancients inevitable. Numbers, resources, distances and time.

Resources - They had them in abundance.

Numbers - We don't have exact numbers but there must have been tens of thousands of vessels in and around the Mediterranean at any given time.

Distances - Not a physical barrier when using the trade winds.

Time - There have been boats in the Mediterranean for over 10,000 years.

Humans did not cover the earth by being unwilling to explore. Cassandra's curse is a prominent feature of humanity. Curiosity drives us.