UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Julius Ratus

Who all has a degree?

This is an offshoot from the "Famous (and Infamous) Individuals with History/Classics Degrees" thread on the Historia in Universum section.

I will have a B. A. in History with a Minor in Russian in August, unless I fail something, which is not expected, knock on wood.

Edited by Julius Ratus

I have a degree, but it has no relevance to Classical Studies. In fact, now that I'm in the real world it doesn't seem to have much relevance for anything. :D

While I'm honored to be amongst many holders of Ph.Ds and professional degrees (and a scholar like Mr. Dalby), I'm just some guy who read a fair number of Romanophile books relative to the general population.

No degree at all - even my Psychiatric nurse qualification is the old RMN qualification prior to when nursing degrees became standard. Just a room full of books and a desire to learn. I am, however, seriously considering an Open University degree, perhaps starting this coming September. I would really like to do French Language, with perhaps a minor in Classics/history.

Associate in journalism, BA in American history.

Just to expand the topic a little, the only history-related "job" I ever had was a research internship at the Shelburn Museum, Shelburn, Vermont. Currently, I'm an immigration officer.

And, as long as I'm at it, I credit my interest in Rome to Charleton Heston and the "Ben Hur" playset that Santa Claus left under the tree, one year.

No degree at all - even my Psychiatric nurse qualification is the old RMN qualification prior to when nursing degrees became standard. Just a room full of books and a desire to learn. I am, however, seriously considering an Open University degree, perhaps starting this coming September. I would really like to do French Language, with perhaps a minor in Classics/history.

Providing the OU is still the same, I can recommend it, Neil. It is a while ago since I studied with them personally and I can remember it being very expensive, but as I was working for a University Press at the time, I got quite a few components paid by my employers. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the fact that I couldn't do an entire Classical Studies degree at the time - I had to do a combination of Classics, non-classical history and English Lit - whereas it does seem to be a bit more structured now. I did mine as pure self-indulgence, for love of the subjects concerned - but I do wish I'd listened to my old Classics master and gone straight from school. But we know it all when we're 18, don't we?

The OU does seem, however, to offer what - say - the American uni's offer - i.e. a 'major' and 'minor' as you state above. So, if I were to class myself, I suppose I'd say, History 'major' with English 'minor'. I have recently examined the possibility of a straight Classical Studies degree (again for pure self-indulgence) but as it would cost me

Im a lawyer and got degree but on my university the studies of law were probably very different than in the countries of common law like USA or GB. It takes here 5 years (10 semseters) and it was always considered here that one cannot be a lawyer without knowing well history of law and everything what influenced the law trough centuries. So we started with the history of philosophy, history of political and legal doctrines, Roman Law (which was always one of the hardest exams), history of political systems - which included all political systems begining with ancient eastern despotic states and ending on modern times (we had to learn 3 French constitutions, US consitution not to mention all 7 Polish constitutions), history of court law (we had to learn basics of common law and the French CC, German BGB, Swiss ZBGB and some other). In fact 3 first semesters we were taught only history and the next 7 we learned this law which we use now. Usually the profesors who thaught us historic subjcets were the most demanding. Profesor of Roman law was even organising Roman law suits and we had to give speeches like Roman advocates. For sure it was good training before we started to learn modern civil or constitutional law.

In two weeks I will be done with my History Degree and a Minor in Poly Sci and in Dec. I will be done with my Classics Degree and a Minor in Theology...

After that... it's on to Grad School...

I

Gaius has a BBA, with a major in accounting and minors in Eco, Theo, Business Law, and Phil. Some architecture, and chemical engineering. Don't remember any of it. Rather than put up with me, they gave me a piece of velum. Grad school and I did not see eye to eye, ergo, same result. I have a PHD in Ribald Drinking; one in Metaphysics, and just within the last few weeks, received my PHD in Prophetic Medicine.

just within the last few weeks, received my PHD in Prophetic Medicine.

Does your dissertation work involve the extensive use of leeches? *gag*

just within the last few weeks, received my PHD in Prophetic Medicine.

Does your dissertation work involve the extensive use of leeches? *gag*

Nah. Just prophetic books. Now, Metaphysics is another thing.