UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CiceroD

Is anyone else starving for source material?

Does anyone else feel like they cant get their hands on quality Roman sources, or worse yet do not presently have much time to devote to reading? For me its that special time of year when all my schoolwork is due. O Happy Days! :D

So after dusting off My ancestral copy of Gibbon and realising that I was sick of citing him, Ive decided to put it in front of the Forum.

What is the best, most cost effective way of getting useful sources?

Does anyone else feel like they cant get their hands on quality Roman sources, or worse yet do not presently have much time to devote to reading? For me its that special time of year when all my schoolwork is due. O Happy Days! :D

So after dusting off My ancestral copy of Gibbon and realising that I was sick of citing him, Ive decided to put it in front of the Forum.

What is the best, most cost effective way of getting useful sources?

For 'cost effective' see List'o links. All online stuff.

Edited by Virgil61

Paperbackswap

There isn't a lot of ancient source material, but I did manage to get a few penguin version copies of some things I didn't have in print. It's a great site really... all you do is pay postage.

For 'cost effective' see List'o links. All online stuff.

And if that fails you then either go to a big University library or become one with the Amazon used marketplace...

I've bought many used books from Amazon in the past, you can probably pick up 2 or 3 used books for the price you would pay for one brand new copy, all the used books I've bought have all been in very good condition.

The List'o Links is excellent and a never ending source of research material but sometimes it's just nice to sit somewhere quiet and read a good book :) .

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Second-hand bookshops are brilliant; I was able to purchase much of Livy