UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

King Arthur?

You want hard-nosed, read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. King Arthur leaps to the table to challenge the Green Knight without knowing what is being fully asked. One thing I have noticed is Bamburgh Castle in the far north. On my travels in the U.K. it is the only one I have come across that was rumoured to be the home of Lancelot. Correct me if I am wrong. I know if I had been Lancelot, I would not have found a better place. I hope to go back there soon.

As far as I'm aware Lancelot is a medieval literary invention, a man who falls to temptation against his liege lord in typically medieval unrequieted love for the queen Quinevere (who is based on a historical character apparently). Thats the reason why Galahad exists in the story - a man who replaces Lancelot in the arthurian mythos as the pure and noble knight. Any claim of somewhere that it's connected with Lancelot in real life is basically talking out of a smelly orifice. That said, it would be wonderful if there was some older inspiration for the character.

• 3 weeks later...

As an addition tio some of the points raised before, I refer to A Guide book to Arthurian Britain by Geoffery Ashe.

Ambrosius Aurelianus (according to legend) is the uncle of Arthur and the brother of Uther Pendragon. Arthur is associated with battles fought in scotland and the north of england, yet its only the west of england that maintains traditions of his birthplace.

Its also intersting that Plutarch relates a tale about britain, whereby a benign british god had been banished to a western island where he sleeps until he returns. After the christian domination of the british isles, this legend, now effectively forbidden to pagans, was transferred to Arthur instead thus we have the tale of the king who will one day return.

Edited by caldrail