UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"I, Claudius"

Drusus Nero

For me, 'I, Claudius' was TV at its best. The actors were all perfect for their parts. Their faces, emotions and actions fit well for the real ones. Tiberius was my hero. Even the young Claudius was perfect.

Yes, Gaius Octavius, I think you're right!.

What did you think of the character of Livilla?.

I know, because of the crimes the "real" Livilla committed during her lifetime, that no record exists of her in the public archives. So each person must form their own opinion of what she was really like.

Now you've done it ! Just wait until The Augusta gets her mitts on this post!!

Hope you've got your reading glasses! :lol:

Do you think she'll have her own opinions on the subject ? :pokey:.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you think of the character of Livilla?.

I know, because of the crimes the "real" Livilla committed during her lifetime, that no record exists of her in the public archives. So each person must form their own opinion of what she was really like.

I take it that you are referring to Livia Julia - i.e. 'Livilla' and not Livia Drusilla? I thought Pat Quinn gave us a traditional Livilla. As to the real Livilla, I am totally convinced that she was besotted with Sejanus, but I have an open mind as to whether she helped to poison Drusus the Younger ('Castor' in the series). In fact I have still not made up my mind as to whether he was murdered at all.

I think the script writers on "I, Claudius" wanted to add a bit of sensationalism regarding the affair between Livilla and Sejanus, well, that's how it seemed to me anyway.

Kevin McNally was briliant as Castor, he and Pat worked well together, he was the only actor to play the same character as a teenager and as an adult :lol: .

As you might guessed, I'm a bit of an "I,Claudius" trivia buff, it's always been my favorite show :pokey: .

Ooooh now Augusta... show us the metal of your sword then...

What did Augustus say to Claudius when he realised his 'play acting' was not for real during their friendly little chat?

Word for word now mind Augusta... you know the script!! (And no cheating by searching the scenes!!!!!!!) :pokey:

Take your time now...... no hurry....

Edited by Augustus Caesar

I think one of the most dramatic plotlines involving Livilla was when she was flirting with Posthumous in her room and then accused him of rape ;).

Of course, it was all a scheme devised by Livia (who else?), to remove yet another possible heir to the throne.

By the way, I'd love it if anyone would care to test my "I, Claudius" knowledge :naughty:.

Edited by Drusus Nero

By the way, I'd love it if anyone would care to test my "I, Claudius" knowledge ;).

'Little marmoset'?

I can't resist this one... Herod to Claudius...... upon a little moment of endearment.

Go on Drusus... answer that one I gave The Augusta!! I hold no fears of this fine lady as I am a long way up the road!!!! (I now cower behind my desk etc awaiting a word perfect answer!!!)

By the way, I'd love it if anyone would care to test my "I, Claudius" knowledge ;).

'Little marmoset'?

I can't resist this one... Herod to Claudius...... upon a little moment of endearment.

Go on Drusus... answer that one I gave The Augusta!! I hold no fears of this fine lady as I am a long way up the road!!!! (I now cower behind my desk etc awaiting a word perfect answer!!!)

Ooh, I had to really think about this one :naughty: , let see if my memory serves me right...

Augutus: You know alot of people think you're a fool.

But you're not so simple, are you?.

Claudius: No sir.

I haven't watched my "I, Claudius" DVD for quite a while now, this was just from memory, pretty impressive, eh? :lightbulb: .

Word for word the scene is as follows after Augustus tells Claudius one can be so wrong about people...

Augustus: "You give everybody the impression you're a bit of a fool. No point in mincing matters.... but you're not such a fool - are you?"

Claudius: "I hope (stutter) not."

Augustus: "Germanicus told me about you."

And there you have it.

That's a great scene and one of many many more!!

Word for word the scene is as follows after Augustus tells Claudius one can be so wrong about people...

Augustus: "You give everybody the impression you're a bit of a fool. No point in mincing matters.... but you're not such a fool - are you?"

Claudius: "I hope (stutter) not."

Augustus: "Germanicus told me about you."

And there you have it.

That's a great scene and one of many many more!!

How very true :unsure: .