UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

UK UNRV "Future Campaigns"

If I dare mention the next possibilities for meeting at this stage :

1. A Northern meet: AC and NN to spearhead a Hadrian's Wall meeting with specific emphasis on construction techniques and usage of the Wall (not to the exclusion of other things but as a basic central theme).

2. Southern Meet : possibly Fishbourne /Maiden Castle as specific central sites with a tie in to re-enactment events if feasible.

Just ideas .

1. A Northern meet: AC and NN to spearhead a Hadrian's Wall meeting with specific emphasis on construction techniques and usage of the Wall (not to the exclusion of other things but as a basic central theme).

2. Southern Meet : possibly Fishbourne /Maiden Castle as specific central sites with a tie in to re-enactment events if feasible.

Just ideas .

You shall not only dare, you absolutely must.

Personally, I'd be for the Wall, but would be equally as happy to go south if that took the vote.

Just ideas .

You shall not only dare, you absolutely must.

Personally, I'd be for the Wall, but would be equally as happy to go south if that took the vote.

Ah no , this isnt a choice its a northern/southern "section " meet , for those who cant travel far to extremities of the Isle.

I will be willing to try and set something up on a visit to Hadrian's Wall and base it around construction etc. If Neil and I can do this together then that would be an excellent start. The Augusta favours the north and I personally think that we should treat the two seperately. Do the north and south at different times but take a choice to see where first.

This is a tentative approach to see if we can get something going on either. Would we be talking about the back end of this summer or a similar date next year to this? The back end of summer for us would favour a trip on the Wall and next year the southern meet. That's unless we only wanted one meet per year in which case either could be done first.

Anyway, I will be going along to the Wall a few times in the summer anyway and could arrange to meet NN (if agreeable to him - what do you think NN?) there for a wider discussion as to how we could approach this for the end of summer. Mid September may be good as the kids are back to school and won't be along the Wall so much and my outdoor activities during the summer won't get in the way.

Would it be rude of me to ask folk to get back to me or NN on this one to see how we may approach the idea?

I think that should be enough for now anyway and if I am being too 'forward' with this please stop me!!!! I get enthusiastic with stuff like this and as we enjoyed ourselves so much - well, you know what I mean!! :)

I will be willing to try and set something up on a visit to Hadrian's Wall and base it around construction etc. If Neil and I can do this together then that would be an excellent start. The Augusta favours the north and I personally think that we should treat the two seperately. Do the north and south at different times but take a choice to see where first.

This is a tentative approach to see if we can get something going on either. Would we be talking about the back end of this summer or a similar date next year to this? The back end of summer for us would favour a trip on the Wall and next year the southern meet. That's unless we only wanted one meet per year in which case either could be done first.

Anyway, I will be going along to the Wall a few times in the summer anyway and could arrange to meet NN (if agreeable to him - what do you think NN?) there for a wider discussion as to how we could approach this for the end of summer. Mid September may be good as the kids are back to school and won't be along the Wall so much and my outdoor activities during the summer won't get in the way.

Would it be rude of me to ask folk to get back to me or NN on this one to see how we may approach the idea?

I think that should be enough for now anyway and if I am being too 'forward' with this please stop me!!!! I get enthusiastic with stuff like this and as we enjoyed ourselves so much - well, you know what I mean!! :)

Not at all-tempus fugit. I wonder if we can take in a re-enactment event as well ? I will check through the schedules for this year.

I certainly think that once a year is not enough - I think that AC's suggestion of a Hadrian's Wall trip in September followed by a Southern meeting next spring is a great suggestion. In order to cut down travel expenses for some of our Southern members, I am sure that us more northerly based people could do a bit of car sharing. I could, for example, pick two people up in Lancaster on route for the Wall.

Not at all-tempus fugit. I wonder if we can take in a re-enactment event as well ? I will check through the schedules for this year.

A re-enactment group would be a fabulous idea. Would they be prepared to do a display and talk for a short time and then we get on with our own thing though?

Would another possibility be Sally Grainger? She could talk to our group exclusively for a short time maybe following up on what Andrew Dalby talked about in relation to foods. Maybe she could tell us of what the Army would be expected to eat and do for the preperation of foodstuffs.

I certainly think that once a year is not enough - I think that AC's suggestion of a Hadrian's Wall trip in September followed by a Southern meeting next spring is a great suggestion. In order to cut down travel expenses for some of our Southern members, I am sure that us more northerly based people could do a bit of car sharing. I could, for example, pick two people up in Lancaster on route for the Wall.

One of the suggestions at the meet in York was to drive folks around who do not have transport themselves. We would need to keep spaces free for those who get to the Wall by other means. Just to add to that this includes Flavia and myself!! This will be a good place to ask who would travel to the Wall by car and how many would have space to drive those who travel by train etc.

One of the other considerations is where to stay. I will research this and keep costs down. If we can all stay in one place the better as we can talk over a drink in the place of residence without having to drive around afterward. Oh the logistics!!!!

Would a new thread be a good idea for the new meet and these posts moved there? This would keep the York thread purely for our comments etc on that. Just a thought.

Here is the place for discussion of possible new meetings/events by the UK members...though all are welcome , and certainly we hope non-UK members might find their way to our meetings.

Some links to consider regarding re-enactments that might firt into our schedule for the next Forum Meetings:

http://www.romanarmy.net/events.htm

http://www.vicus.org.uk/

http://www.legiiavg.org.uk/group/calendar_index.html

please add any further such if they cross your path. Obviously events on or near The Wall will be of major interest for the Northern Meet.

:thumbsup::D:clapping: Great idea guy's!

I thought I'd probably have to wait until next year before another meet was organized but lo and behold we're talking about this September at the wall and then next spring down south which for me is spot on, I'm away on holiday for the last two weeks in August so the holiday will be over and done with (I might also have a tan as well :D ).

Anythings good for me, the Wall's a good idea as is a re-enactment or to combine the both would be brilliant, so let's get this sorted!

There are these two choices of...

The Ermine Street Guard who are at Arbeia and Segedunum on September 1st and 2nd. Unfortunately I cannot do those dates!! The earliest I can organise this meet for would be subsequent weekends thereafter, the 8th and 9th. That said they are not booked after those dates.

http://www.esg.ndirect.co.uk/

However, Comitatus are marching on Hadrians Wall on September 29th and 30th. Hows this for a choice weekend?

http://www.comitatus.net/events.htm

I have seen this group before and they are very good. Check out their pages.

Unfortunately their site gives no finer detail of this walk on the Wall so I have contacted them to see what is on their schedule. If anyone wishes to pick those dates we can 'bump into them' and offer resistence to their 'invasion'!!

How's this for you NN? Are those dates free?

And so for the rest of you eager Romanophiles... 'are you free?'

No, Hadrian's Wall is too far away.

Sounds OK for me at this stage, Augustus.

What if I pick you up at Lancaster or Preston?

WW do you wish to suggest a "Southern" itinerary? Maiden Castle etcetera etcetera?