UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

UK UNRV "Future Campaigns"

Sounds good to me, count me in!

I am quite happy to co - organise this with Augustus ( AC, I will PM you with my 'phone number and email in due course).

Gaius... "Right, you're in!!" It'll be good to meet another member of this esteemed forum. At anytime please let us know what your intentions are as per accomodation and when you are likely to arrive and leave. No hurry for this but it will give us something to work around and if enough come on Friday then we can maybe get a small item on our schedule. Feel free to come up with suggestions... that goes for anyone coming along. Just remember, nothing is set in stone apart from the dates now. We won't be changing those.

NN... Received your PM and have sent reply reciprocating numbers etc. I look forward to our chat.

Well, the wheels are in motion and are running well so far... let's make the meet as successful as the York one.

As AC has said we cannot rely on the now butchered AD 122 bus service, so it has to be car and foot for getting about. I will start to pm UK members if they dont appear to have seen the thread.

As regards Sally Grainger as a potential invitee what do Forum members think to suggesting the "Annual" meet as the best platform for such a guest?

As AC has said we cannot rely on the now butchered AD 122 bus service, so it has to be car and foot for getting about. I will start to pm UK members if they dont appear to have seen the thread.

As regards Sally Grainger as a potential invitee what do Forum members think to suggesting the "Annual" meet as the best platform for such a guest?

It's a shame that the service has been so massacred by the changes. It is no longer fitting of the title Hadrian's Wall Bus as far as I am concerned.

Sally would be a great guest at the annual meet. How would you involve her though? I know she does a lot of practical stuff when she 'tours' the forts etc but would we just invite her for the instructive talks as opposed to the showing of her skills? Either way I think an honoured guest would be excellent.

In a future meet on the Wall (this one may be too close to call in September) we could ask the main guy himself, Dr David Breeze. If all went well I could ask him personally as I have direct numbers and his address to get in touch. This first meet on the Wall should be taken as a chance to learn at our pace then maybe next time ask Mr Breeze to come along to give a more informed talk. That way we can give a lot more notice etc. How does that sound? A long way away but time flies as they say....

I have to ask this...just for my own curiosity.

For those of us who have to fly into the UK in order to attend these meetings...is it easier to fly into London and take a train to the city of choice? Or is there an alternative? I realize it depends on the site, but it's something for future planning. Unless I get some outstanding employment in short order, the Sept. meeting is far for me, but the annual meet may not be.

I have to ask this...just for my own curiosity.

For those of us who have to fly into the UK in order to attend these meetings...is it easier to fly into London and take a train to the city of choice? Or is there an alternative? I realize it depends on the site, but it's something for future planning. Unless I get some outstanding employment in short order, the Sept. meeting is far for me, but the annual meet may not be.

If you were able to make the September meet, which is probably going to be Hadrian's Wall, it would be better to fly to Manchester. One of us could then collect you from the airport.

As for getting around on the 'Hadrians Wall' projected bash - is it worthwhile hiring a minibus?

As for getting around on the 'Hadrians Wall' projected bash - is it worthwhile hiring a minibus?

An excellent idea, Caldrail! And this would help to defray costs for everyone too. I'm sure we'd all b e willing to chip in.

Rational and sensible, im certainly happy to contribute.

If you were able to make the September meet, which is probably going to be Hadrian's Wall, it would be better to fly to Manchester. One of us could then collect you from the airport.

Well, I'm not sure that I can definitely do it...but just for kicks and grins I checked flights, and it's around $800...much less than what I thought it'd be. Then again, I'd have to figure in other expenses, but still...not too shabby!

(Plus, for those US members: United and Virgin Atlantic don't fly directly into MAN from the US (you have to fly into Heathrow), but American Airlines, Delta, US Airways, and Continental do...good news!)

Edited by docoflove1974

I think you might even get a flight cheaper than that, if you shop around, Doc. Often you get offers for 'Manchester to New York,

The travel via plane to England from the US does not need to be to Manchester. Our airport in Newcastle is huge and takes flights from your own country Doc. Remember, Newcastle is only a couple of miles from the Wall area itself. Manchester is a lot further south. Of course, the choice is down to cost and your own personal taste. But Newcastle Airport is another option for you to check out.

Hiring a minibus is OK but would it be self drive? We would have to pay per mileage and a guy here may let us have it on the cheep as he is known to Flavia (my good lady) through her neice who holidays with them frequently. The guy has a minibus at Manchester Airport and his company is Premier Transport. He may allow us the use of that minibus so I will ask Flavia to check this out next time she sees her sister who will call him up. Do keep checking into this though as this is by no means a cert. If he is agreeable to us having the minibus then it could be used from Manchester. Failing that we could have everyone meet in Newcastle and hire another of his buses from here to keep all the sharing of costs even. There's a lot to sort here so let's have some further debate.

Oh, it's never a question of wanting, folks...always a question of greenbacks. And, in my case, employment and time!

Will check into Newcastle...good advice.

AC, the prices from NYC-UK are always good, and there's always a deal. But I'm on the West Coast, so usually one has to tack on $300-400 to the price to accommodate for that. Still, it's off-season travel, so I'm sure that those Yanks (and Suthnuhs) who wish to traipse across the Pond might be able to find a deal.

EDIT: I quickly did a search on Travelocity.com for SFO > Newcastle, and it's $200 more than flying into Manchester! It also requires a fly into Heathrow, which might bother some people. Virgin Atlantic-British Airways is the cheapest route there, or so the site says. I'm sure that there are better deals, but I find that interesting! I'm guessing that Manchester is a much bigger (therefore, more in demand) city than Newcastle...isn't Manchester like the 2nd or 3rd biggest city in the UK?

Edited by docoflove1974

Yes, rather boringly it is one of the biggest cities here. Birmingham is classed as the second city apparently. This is a rather genuine deal us Geordies in Newcastle have done in that we allow those cities to be classed as the second city here whilst it really is Newcastle!!! We ask for nothing in return for this generous favour though!!

Newcastle Airport has grown to be one of the busiest in England outside of London and is constantly growing at a very fast rate. It's all those wise folks who want to come here for a visit and see all its history that do this... as well as those exiled Geordies who come home every weekend for a beer or two coz no-where else serves good alcohol!!! Now before you all flay me for that - let me run away first!!! :lol:

Seriously though - Newcastle is an excellent choice for flights but being made to fly to London first at $200 extra is a bit much. It is therefore cheaper to fly to Manchester and travel by train from there. Not a fantastic amount though but it is still a lot less. You could always hire a boat you know!! Go on - save your dollars and come over... you will never ever regret it!!!! We are so friendly up here and folks are made so welcome and the Wall is just beckoning you now!!! Can't you hear it??? :)

AS you can see quite a few Britons think Hadrian's Wall is in China:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770