UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

UK UNRV "Future Campaigns"

... Andrew Dalby unavailable ...

Yes, that's right, Auguste, but 'don't drop me off the mailing list' as they say. I'll be at the next one! And envious best wishes to all those who will be there, defending the Empire against the Pictish hordes.

... Andrew Dalby unavailable ...

Yes, that's right, Auguste, but 'don't drop me off the mailing list' as they say. I'll be at the next one! And envious best wishes to all those who will be there, defending the Empire against the Pictish hordes.

Drop you off the mailing list!!??? Not an issue!! How could we? You're one of a band of army members now that will be called upon to do their duty in defence of the greatest empire the world has ever seen!! Just keep your shield and sword at the ready... you never know when the call will come!!

We look forward to seeing you in York next year Andrew. Keep safe in Gaul... you know what they're like over there - old Vercy might just be hiding around a corner - well, at least his spirit might be!!!!

Apparently Longbow has commitments this September he is unable to get out of so we may see him on our next meeting in April next year. Thank you The Augusta for finding out for us!!

Now then... some news!!

Northern Neil, The Augusta, my good lady Flavia and I will meet on Bank Holiday Monday to discuss an itinerary for the meet later in the summer for our trip to Hadrian's Wall. The location? Just to make the rest of you jealous - it's Hadrian's Wall!!!! Vindolanda to be precise. We will discuss quite a lot probably but if anyone has requests, ideas or any suggestions then please do post here and we'll see what we can do. Requests for particular photo's nearer the tme may even be granted if we have good weather and the opportunity presents itself so ask away. This is for those who can't make it or just want to see a certain shot maybe. More later about all that.

I have emailed Comitatus about a possible meeting with them along their proposed Wall marching route and I await a reply. This is the second communication and I hope to get something a little more concrete to enable us to pinpoint our own routes to coincide with theirs. Myself or NN will post here when we have more to tell and will probably be after our own meeting. I do have details of their proposed route but it is not set in stone as yet. So just keep checking over the next few weeks and we'll see what materialises.

I am hoping we will have an update soon from the "away team" of AC and NN, just to let followers of the thread know its still very much active .

You will indeed! Yesterday a comprehensive itinerary was proposed. Augustus Caesar will be posting the results very soon, with the assistance of the Augusta. In the meantime, here is a little 'appetizer'. Part of our proposed schedule of events involves walking a short - ish but very atmospheric part of Hadrian's Wall and perhaps stopping at various turrets (signal towers) for individual members to give a presentation on their particular realms of expertise. The following photo shows a stretch of the Wall on this proposed walk, which stands about 8ft. high in places. As you see, to the right of the walker is a crag from which the Wall was quarried, to the left the Wall itself, and out of view, over the Wall, a drop of about 150 feet. Standing in the turrets on this stretch, one is reminded of the more dramatic stretches of the Great Wall of China. Although things are more scaled down, it remains a very dramatic experience.

67oiomu.jpg

C'mon, members everywhere. Join your British friends on a weekend you will never forget!

Edited by Northern Neil

Most evocative Neil!

and btw do any of you Southern Types (this is UK not USA) have any thoughts on possible meeting sites ? I am keen to lure Dalby to the shores again with a venue more easily reached via ferry/tunnel from Gaul. No rush to conclude any details but tempus fugit and even if we make suggestions for a considerable way ahead (say linking up to II Augusta on the south coast) please feel free to brainstorm-if we have suggestions I will divide the thread for a "Brittania Superior" Meet.

Evocative indeed Pertinax!! This is one of the finest stretches of the Wall but notthe only one obviously. It affords great views, excellent examples of stone cutting and many more features besides. If this doesn't entice folk to come along to this meet then nothing will!!

Anyway, I post this small bit here to forewarn everyone, as Neil has, that I will be posting an itinerary here in the next couple of hours so pop back for loads of information. Neil and I will be making several requests of everyone that hopefully will meet with approval from you all. There will be a lot to digest from this so please take time to read through it, maybe even more than once, so you get the full gist of what is a relatively longish post.

As has been stated we had a meeting, NN, Augusta, Flavia (my good lady wife) and myself, up on Hadrian's Wall yesterday (May 28) which was very successful in that we virtually agreed the itinerary straight away with some minor tinkering for weather conditions etc. So do pop back and read it through and be prepared for early commitments to be made. I'll put the 'finishing touches' to it and post as soon as possible.

OK folks... here it is... the long awaited itinerary for the UK Hadrian's Wall meeting in September.....

Preliminary guidelines for UK Forum Meeting

Edited by Augustus Caesar

A public thanks to AC and Team Northern Tribes for this .Please do not neglect to pm AC with your intentions regarding this trip!

Thank you Pertinax on behalf of myself and the team who went to Vindolanda to arrange this meet. May I add that as well as PMing myself or NN with confirmation of your attendance in September that you also post here your arrival and departure days so others will know who is coming and when. For more specific details like wishing to do a talk about a subjet you should contact myself or NN personally. I should point out that subject matter should be primarily about the Wall itself or material connected to it. This should be passed by us so we can arrange the timing of events with the visits to the designated forts etc. So far we have four speakers and I am sure we could fill in more if time allows.

Accommodtion is currently being looked into. I cannot go much further without solid commitments from members so please read the previous post I made above.

Let's make it happen and let's make a great job of it!! :lol:

Count me in. Should be fun, and a chance to pick up where York left off. That should worry a few people :) Seriously though, a second romanesque holiday this year has got to be worth it.

Count me in. Should be fun, and a chance to pick up where York left off. That should worry a few people ;) Seriously though, a second romanesque holiday this year has got to be worth it.

Ah - didn't we tell you, Caldrail? You weren't offered a choice on whether to come along or not. Your attendance is compulsory - especially as weaponry will be on display!

Hmm, Caldrail plus weapons = The Barbarian Horde. Looks like a promising meeting.

and heres the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PyFMwgrqW8

And everyone else!!!!!!!

Excellent soundtrack is Gladiator!! We should take a decent sound system on the Wall meet and have it blaring out in the background!!!!