UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

UK UNRV "Future Campaigns"

Staying in Carlisle and moving West is not unreasonable (by car at least).

Please check myy pm to you AC. Looks like im driving anyway.

I got your PM Pertinax as I did from GPM and have responded accordingly. We shouldn't have too many issues to deal with and even if we do they should sort themselves pretty easily I would think.

One thing I would suggest is that accomodation should be sought East of Hexham for picking folks up. This is detailed even more in my PM to you so check that.

GO... thanks for the advice re the cars etc. Myself, NN, Caldrail and Pertinax have met before and should be OK when it comes to spotting each other. Our only member so far who we have not met is Gaius Paulinus Maximus although we will sort that when the time comes. If anyone wishes to follow that about the cars etc please do so anyway. Anything helps!!

Life is so good and wonderful but nothing ever runs smoothly... however, it all adds to the general panic and humour of any situation the silly gods want to throw at us!! Just which one do we blame? There's that many!! Maybe the god of B&B's or Hotels? Hmmm....

It is getting to the point of last calls for anyone now so if you WANT TO COME ALONG please let me know NOW!! You can still tag along later but arrangements would be made by yourselves probably with as much assistance from me as I could offer at the time. There'snot many of us going but it doesn't matter as long as we have a good time and can create friendships along the way. Great things always start from humble beginnings!!

Let's make it great!!!!!

If any non-UK members are thinking of coming along please pm myself asap.

This also applies to the likely 2008 UK meet in York (though immediate action is not needed, but a stitch in time..), I wouldnt want anyone to cross the herring pond and find themselves without board and shelter.

OK folks... this is it. I am in the final throws of getting stuff together and will be putting accommodation ideas here very very soon. It looks like we will stay in central Newcastle or the Jesmond area (5 minutes away - 10 at most walking). This means with two forms of transport everyone can fit in and travel from there to the Wall and we can have a decentnight time chat together on each evening in any one of hundreds of pubs!!! Or even a hotel if it has one!! I await two responses from PM's and hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. NN has been away in Scandinavia and is due back soon if not already! As soon as I hear from him then details will appear here.

We are still on schedule for a test walk before the main meet to see how our schedule order will work.

I hope the material for our 'talks' is coming along nicely. We will still be meeting with Comitatus too so that's a definite.

More later...

OK folks... after a little hassle with web connections, a broken router, website designs falling behind schedule and many other little quirks I have finally been restored to sanity!!

Listed below are several places to stay in Jesmond, Newcastle which is central to all our needs for the Hadrian's Wall Meet. They are relatively inexpensive (don't let that put you off!!) and very accessible to Newcastle City Centre. The first link is a main website which contains all other links I have listed. I have placed them here because they are mixed in with several others.

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/newcastle-upon-tyne.html

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/cliftonhousehotel.html

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/jesmondpark.html

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/westland-newcastle.html

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/avenuehotel.html

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/denehot.html

All these hotels look very good and from local knowledge the majority of hotels etc in Jesmond now compete fiercely for business and have improved tremendously over the last twenty years or so. This is because of the historical surrounds of Newcastle and Hadrian's Wall being given a facelift in order to attract tourism like it has never done before.

Anyway, take a look and book up at your leisure. If you all get different places it won't matter too much as Jesmond is very easy to travel through and is extremely close to Newcastle. Car parking may need sorting via a quick telephone call to the hotel or even an email where several of your enquiries, I'm sure, will be dealt with quickly. I don't know if anyone is willing to share rooms but sometimes it's a saver to get a twin room.

Once you have booked up let me know so I can at least mark you off my 'worry' list!!! ;)

I will also try and get some PM's to you all if I can in the next day or so.

Let's rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your hard work, Augustus. I shall certainly be exploring in the next couple of days and will PM when I have secured my accommodation.

That's excellent Augusta... we need to hear from the others of course too but that will happen shorttly I have no doubt.

It's not too far away and things should be getting clearer for our final itinerary and talks etc.

Just as a reminder to everyone... four of us intend a trial walk to aid in our final plans and thus once complete all details should be released here for your digestion.

All we need now is fantastic weather - are we asking too much after this summer so far?!?!?!? Let's make sacrifices to the Gods!! You know - nothing illegal like - just squeeze some beetroot or something!!!

That's excellent Augusta... we need to hear from the others of course too but that will happen shorttly I have no doubt.

It's not too far away and things should be getting clearer for our final itinerary and talks etc.

Just as a reminder to everyone... four of us intend a trial walk to aid in our final plans and thus once complete all details should be released here for your digestion.

All we need now is fantastic weather - are we asking too much after this summer so far?!?!?!? Let's make sacrifices to the Gods!! You know - nothing illegal like - just squeeze some beetroot or something!!!

Consider those beetroot well and truly squeezed AC!

I've had a quick browse through the hotels you suggested AC and they all look pretty resonable. I'll be in contact soon when I've decided which of them's going to have the pleasure of my company.

Cheers.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Augusta may be in touch with you all to see who is staying where and to see if you can all get the same hotel. This would be great bonus so habg fire for a couple of days and see if she gets in touch! NN has returned from his Scandinavian exploits and is recovering forthwith...

If you want to book your own place then go for it but may a PM or two may help you all out to try and get to be in one spot. Keep me posted here or by PM.

I intend to do some phoning and/or e-mailing tonight and tomorrow on this, AC - but I just want to add a warning on the Forum to everyone attending. Caldrail via PM has informed me that The Great North Run coincides with our weekend in Newcastle! This is going to have a huge bearing on accommodation. I've just checked on the internet and the Run itself is to be held from Newcastle on Sunday, 30th September, so places for the Saturday night at least are going to be at a premium - especially the smaller places.

I'll send some e-mails tonight - just a blanket one really to see what is available and where.

A special thanks to Caldrail for bringing this to our attention. But as far as the booking in one hotel if poss is concerned, everyone seems to be agreeable to that.

Will post and PM more as soon as I hear something.

Thanks Augusta. The run is normally held about that time of year but usually a week or two earlier. Trust us to pick the one where they change it!! Still, hotels / b&b's should be available though. Let me know what you come up with. I have PM'd Caldrail on this so will await your results.

I see that we have a couple of new UK members so I am bumping this thread in case they have not noticed it as yet amongst the plethora of information!

Has anyone got anywhere near booking hotels or anything like it yet?

I know Augusta was going to get in touch with you all regarding choosing one place to stay but no-one has come forward with solid utterings - so I summise we await the great lady's efforts taking fruition.

I know Augusta was going to get in touch with you all regarding choosing one place to stay but no-one has come forward with solid utterings - so I summise we await the great lady's efforts taking fruition.

AC - it's not looking great. I have e-mailed 7, 5 have replied that they are full. I have phoned three more who are full. Still awaiting two e-mails from two places in Jesmond, but if they don't get back to me in 48 hours, I'll have to try even more.

Has anyone else managed to get fixed up at all?

AC - it's not looking great. I have e-mailed 7, 5 have replied that they are full. I have phoned three more who are full. Still awaiting two e-mails from two places in Jesmond, but if they don't get back to me in 48 hours, I'll have to try even more.

Has anyone else managed to get fixed up at all?

To be honest Augusta I haven't really tried anywhere yet, after our PM's last week I've been kind of waiting to see what you could come up with in regards to us all staying at the same hotel, but from the sounds of it things are looking pretty bleak at the moment.

If you send me a list of the places you've already tried, I'll have a scout around myself and see if I can come up with anything.