UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

UK UNRV "Future Campaigns"

OK, listen up all! I have just this minute tried yet another hotel in Jesmond to be told the usual 'It's the Great North Run weekend. On having a bit of a chat with this latest landlady, she said to me that there are 35,000 beds in Newcastle and 42,000 runners! We had a bit of a chuckle, but it's looking dire. The lady suggested trying further out.

I know that John has suggested Hexham. Any thoughts?

If we move Hexhamwards (no jokes GO) the rail connection is pretty straightforward. Collection and delivery by car would be simple.

If we move Hexhamwards (no jokes GO) the rail connection is pretty straightforward. Collection and delivery by car would be simple.

OK, Pertinax - I'm going to try there and just hope it's Ok with Calders and GPM (sure it will be). Time is getting on so I'll get on the phone tonight.

We must be careful that AC is not cut off from the main body of troops.

We must be careful that AC is not cut off from the main body of troops.

Quite. And with that in mind...

OK - have you ever had the feeling you are in a downward spiral? Hexham enquiries are yielding the same results, and now they advise us that we'll be lucky to get 'anything at all' east of Haltwistle! I have been given the number for the Tourist Information Board who will have a definite list of vacancies per weekend in the area, which I can try tomorrow - but I really think we need to report back to HQ here and have AC give us his tuppence. Not knowing my Haltwhistle from my elbow, I have no idea if this would be suitable for our planned itinerary or not! And I feel I should add here, that many of these places have been booked since December 2006!! This was when the list of entrants for the GNR was announced - so I think we've been up against it from the start on this one. Bloody runners - why can't they take up line dancing? :lol:

I thought I had cracked it with one call - a lovely place 3 miles from Vindolanda and Housesteads, but alas, the same dismal tale, I'm afraid, for the weekend in question.

Is this looking like a shift in date? Or a shift in starting point?

Editing to add: I take it none of us would be in the

Edited by The Augusta

Do we go radical and shift date? Please speak up.

It may well be looking that way, P. I would certainly prefer to change the date rather than have to change the itinerary, as we had rather a nice one planned.

Hopefully the Divine Augustus will be on the Forum soon, for either PM or posting purposes.

Expeditious replies, please, guys. :lol: (NN, GPM and Calders)

It may well be looking that way, P. I would certainly prefer to change the date rather than have to change the itinerary, as we had rather a nice one planned.

Hopefully the Divine Augustus will be on the Forum soon, for either PM or posting purposes.

Expeditious replies, please, guys. :lol: (NN, GPM and Calders)

Why do people want to run when they can get slaves to carry them?

I've no problem with changing dates (I think?) Are we talking the week end either side of the original date or a different date altogether?

The only problem we have with changing date's would be that we'd miss out on the meet with Commitas the re enactment people and this would be a real shame. What about Carlisle?? It was mentioned as a possible base camp earlier in the thread.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

I've no problem with changing dates (I think?) Are we talking the week end either side of the original date or a different date altogether?

The only problem we have with changing date's would be that we'd miss out on the meet with Commitas the re enactment people and this would be a real shame. What about Carlisle?? It was mentioned as a possible base camp earlier in the thread.

Oh, gosh - thanks for the reminder GPM - I had totally forgotten about Comitata! (Six lashes for me, then). Yes - let's see about Carlisle, if it's poss. But as I say - we need the Emperor's input now - asap.

OK folks - the theme for today is "DON'T PANIC!!!"

I will cat with Augusta tonight (Wednesday) after she PM'd me with that thought and find out what is happening from her angle and we'll take it from there.

We're bound to get somewhere - if things get tight I'll see if I can pull a rabbit out of the hat!! Keep your eyes pinned here.

Of course, do not stop trying yourselves, and if successful let us all know here. It'll be a huge help. More later when I can get more details....

OK, Legionaries: PMs are now all in your PM boxes regarding our planned trip that seems blighted by Mars and the swift-footed Mercury.

Augustus Caesar and I are busy sacrificing our pets and local vagrants in an effort to appease the wrath of the War God and his golden-sandaled little runner.

Stand by for announcements and updates, but please could I ask you all to attend to your PM boxes asap.

Gratias.

Thanks for the efforts you are making.

Well folks there's bad news and good news. The bad news is that the dates we selected for our Hadrian's Wall Meeting this year are no good as far as finding hotels and b&b'sto stay in. What this does effectively is kill our dream of meeting and talking to Comitatus privately for a couple of hours over a drink at the Twice Brewed Inn. I have in mind to meet them anyway as I am close to that venue and I will report back on it. Questionsthat many of you may have can be relayed through me if you wish. So, the weekend we chose is out. This is due to the Great Nort Run taking place on the Sunday and hotels etc are fully booked on that Saturday night. The hard thing for me to accept here is that this used to be run in the early days of September and not the latter part. Sponsors and their money rules it seems.

So, what now? Well, there's good news. We have postponed that weekend for ONE week only. The meetng will now take place on the 5th, 6th and 7th of October this year. This is still Friday through Sunday. Comitatus won't be there but we can fill the itinerary anyway. So that's really the only change. Now of all those that were going to the original meeting only a couple have yet to confirm you can make the changed date. Myself, Flavia, Pertinax and Augusta have confirmed. Northern Neil we await him contacting us. Gaius and Caldrail may be there but assume a tentative 'yes' will cme our way. Longbow who couldn't make that week may now be able to join us as may Sonic.

PM's have been sent to you all via Augusta and I ask that you answer them directly and quickly as booking places will take up our time to sort. Does anyone have ANY issue about sharing a room with twin beds? If so let me know here or by PM if 'shy'. We have exhausted ourselves trying to find accommodation for the previous week although this time will be far easier. So the least amount of effort we can put in now will be better. So please do confirm NO LATER than Saturday 28th July as this will be a cut-off date for anyone wanting us to book one hotel for us all to stay. The hotel will be central Newcastle or Jesmond. Transport to the Wall will be given by Pertinax and Neil upon his confirmation. We'll sort that later on.

So, as a reminder, NO LATER than Saturdy July 28th to PM Augusta with confirmations. The weekend is now 5, 6 and 7 October. Itinerary will not change except that we are no longer, as a group, meeting Comitatus.

Let's get this going and sort it before one of us cries!! Seriously, we intend this to be a success, so come on folks... get PMing!!!! :lol::clapping:

I'm still in. Shame about the Comitatus thing but never mind maybe we'll catch up with them another time.

Thanks for all the effort you guys have put into this meet, it's really appreciated :D