UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

UK UNRV "Future Campaigns"

Well done AC , shame about Comitatus , but perhaps we can catch up with them again (soon).

Well, so far so good with regards to commitments etc. We await Northern Neil who may be working and unable to get to us just now. We have one other who may not be able to make it as he couldn't the prior week but we'll let you know. The deadline from my previous post for all still stands... so if anyone is left out for accommodation they can still come along but will need to sort out their own 'digs' etc. More info when I get it!!

To those who have committed - Thank You!

All those who are attending this event will be receiving a PM soon telling of the hotel chosen and terms required for deposits if any. This is the part being organised by Gail in Neil's absence. We still await a communication from him but hopefully all is OK with him.

The dates are definitely fixed for October 5, 6 and 7 so we ask that you save your pennies etc and more details will be posted here when we are clearer about Neil and the hotel. Hopefully no more than a week from now these details will be available.

Watch this space!!

Well, for those who haven't checked their PM inbox TODAY (1st August) please do so as Augusta will be booking up tonight for your place of residence for our meet in October!!

Please deal with Augusta when sorting out accommodation and if you have any other questions like local travel etc I will help out there. It is essential that by today we know who is going to be coming along and hopefully no last minute cancellations will be made. I hope everyone is looking forward to this. My older brother (well, one of them) may be cming too. He has no web access but has an interest in Hadrian's Wall anyway. So that's one more for the list. The choice of hotel has a residents bar so we can all sit and enjoy a good evenings drink and chat all things Roman.

Enjoy!!

Only a few weeks to go now folks!! How's the articles coming along for those who are doing a talk? I will be starting mine - or rather continuing - very shortly after a period of heavy activity in other areas of life.

Can't wait....!!!

Good to see you back AC. All UK members please be attentive to AC and The Augusta's excellent efforts in this matter.Any new or newish UK members who are interested please scroll back through the thread to check on the meet and modus operandi.

PM myself if in doubt.

OK... not so good news to report to everyone connected with the Wall meet this October. Due to unforeseen circumstances with one of our principal speakers unavailable and another not contactable for reasons unknown it has been with a heavy and disappointed heart that I should call the meeting off for this year. This is after consultation with certain parties and it was felt it should be delayed. Hopefully we can organise another date for next year when more time is available and we can get a lot more to plan their holidays accordingly.

I still intend to visit the Wall on Sep 29 to visit Comitatus and ask a few questions so if you have any please forward them in a PM to myself and I will ask away. The group are a reenactment group basing themselves on late third and early fourth century Roman soldiers.

So we apologise to those who were going to come along and do hope you can all make a special effort next time round.

AC

A public thank you to AC , sometimes one's best endeavours fall foul of bad luck and unforseen circumstances, this is very much the case here. Resurgam! We will re-group and try again.

Just as an addendum to the possible meeting with Comitatus this September 29... well, circumstances conspired against me and as I was ill over the weekend and much of the following week I was unable to meet them. I took ill on the Friday and only in the last four or five days have I got much better. I have tried to be upbeat during this and it was only that I couldn't face travelling that stopped me going along. Anyway, I have contacted the group commander and will possibly arrange a meeting when they come up to our area and visit Arbeia Roman Fort. If I can get enough information from him regarding his group I will post that data here as well as my own site which needs a complete rewrite and must also be streamlined. A learning curve with a new language has allowed me write a few sites away from my own and neglect seems to be the word for that one. So a new project is in the pipeline... those who have visited the site regularly will see changes start hopefully this year or early next.

As far as the Hadrian's Wall meeting goes this will be a project for June or July next year and I will be in touch with my fellow organisers in due course. I have already had positive vibes from Andrew Dalby and of course if we do pick those dates then I will begin a new thread altogether as this one is now really done with. Thank you all for your patience this time round.

We also hope to have one or two of our American friends come along as they couldn't make it this time. We'll wait and see how it all goes so keep an eye open for a new thread.

AC

Edited by Augustus Caesar

The fates conspired at every turn, sorry to hear that AC. Are you going for The Wall as the "main UK meet 2008?"

The fates conspired at every turn, sorry to hear that AC. Are you going for The Wall as the "main UK meet 2008?"

Hi Pertinax

We could do. I had given it a passing thought but as everyone had discussed York when we were there in April as an annual place to meet I discarded the idea. However, if we pick the same place each year it could get too 'samey'... so if everyone else agrees we could change the venue and have the Wall as the meet next year and going to, maybe, somewhere like Fishbourne the year after for our southern based members as I believe WotWotius mentioned. As Andrew, Augusta and probably NN will almost certainly agree already anyway this may be a winner. If you come back with positive thoughts here I will open a new thread altogether and start to get a general feeling from all members to holding the meet there. The format will be the same. Friday evening through Sunday. If cars are available then we can stay local to Newcastle as hexham may be expensive. We'll investigate that nearer the time when agreement has been reached on venue.

Let me know what you think about the idea then and I will open the thread forthwith after a chat with Gail and NN to gauge their thoughts.... I would hope Caldrail would still come too as he was to give a talk!

I await your reply....

That alll sounds quite reasonable, its very early but we must plan ahead. AC Please do kick off a thread and we can all turn the thing over in public for a while.

For what it's worth at this stage, AC, I would certainly add my vote to a gathering at the Wall - if only for the wealth of Romanobilia (is that a word - or have I just done a Bush?) that abounds there. I am sure this would not be a problem for the Brigantians and Cornovians amongst us (plus our intrepid AD, of course) and Doc, who had mentioned that she would love to come to the next annual gathering in the UK. Hopefully, if our more southerly members had sufficient notice, many of them could make the trip too. It was clearly not going to be a problem for Caldrail travel-wise if the meeting in October had gone ahead, so I am sure we can count him in.

With the various problems that we have encountered to date, what would everyone think about just one annual meeting, at a different location each time? It would add variety and further education, plus plenty of notice for members to set aside a date in their diaries, knowing what it would entail. I am still willing to help out in organisation regarding accommodation and other mundane things, if that is everyone's wish.

If members wished to have a less educational and more social gathering per year, we could perhaps look at this too - i.e. we could have one Roman gathering and one social one - which could be held anywhere where there was good food and pubs!

Yep, I'm still interested in coming, although I will say that a summertime meet is much-more feasible for me than April; I can pull some strings to fly out to the UK for a weekend, but it's quite a few strings, versus summer break where I can take my time.

OK everyone... the vibes so far seem very positive although it very early days. It seems a summer meet would go down very well as opposed to April and this was my intention anyway. So without going into too much here I will now open a new thread entitled UK Meet 2008 and anyone wishing to pen a contribution or express a wish to join us should now head over there and make yourselves a nice cup of tea and tell the rest of us your plans!

So effectively this thread is now done with and all future discussions should be placed in the new area as of a couple of minutes time!! Thank you to everyone who supported the meet that never was and hopefully we will make the 2008 event one we will never forget for all the right reasons...

AC