UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

UK UNRV "Future Campaigns"

I may have some more info on this in the near future so keep your eyes peeled. Pertinax may also put some info here on an idea he has. If so, feedback would be welcomed...

Marching is fun, especially on the bit of the Wall between Carvoran and Housesteads. A lot of unexcavated milecastles and stretches of wall poking up through the turf, and some fine stretches of military way. In fact, lots of stuff which just doesn't make it into the guidebooks! Such as Greatchesters fort...

Marching is fun, especially on the bit of the Wall between Carvoran and Housesteads. A lot of unexcavated milecastles and stretches of wall poking up through the turf, and some fine stretches of military way. In fact, lots of stuff which just doesn't make it into the guidebooks! Such as Greatchesters fort...

There's loads of stuff just waiting for us and our shovels... bring your wellies!!! B)

That stretch of Wall is very good indeed but then so is most of the rest!! I hope you lot aren't going to dress up in legionary outfits etc... with a name like AC I would have to bring the full Emperor garb!! And I ain't made it yet!!!

Just a word of warning regarding shoes... please bring some sturdy ones at least and good walking boots if you have them. Some parts of the walks along the Wall can be very uneven and injury is a strong possibilty. I cannot stress that too lightly. Do not walk in sandals or light shoes. The heavy stone laden ground will be unsympathetic. A rainproof light coat is welcome too - just in case. Otherwise be sensible out there!!!! This part of Britain can be wild and the weather changes in minutes sometimes. Remember you will be on high ground among hilly areas and although the countryside around can be awesome and spectacular it can also be cruel.

On a lighter note :) let's just go and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

NN and I could be meeting soon to sort out some form of itinerary and we'll post here with any details at that time.

There's loads of stuff just waiting for us and our shovels... bring your wellies!!! B)

That stretch of Wall is very good indeed but then so is most of the rest!! I hope you lot aren't going to dress up in legionary outfits etc... with a name like AC I would have to bring the full Emperor garb!! And I ain't made it yet!!!

Just a word of warning regarding shoes... please bring some sturdy ones at least and good walking boots if you have them. Some parts of the walks along the Wall can be very uneven and injury is a strong possibilty. I cannot stress that too lightly. Do not walk in sandals or light shoes. The heavy stone laden ground will be unsympathetic. A rainproof light coat is welcome too - just in case. Otherwise be sensible out there!!!! This part of Britain can be wild and the weather changes in minutes sometimes. Remember you will be on high ground among hilly areas and although the countryside around can be awesome and spectacular it can also be cruel.

On a lighter note :) let's just go and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

NN and I could be meeting soon to sort out some form of itinerary and we'll post here with any details at that time.

I'll leave the stiletto's at home then shall I?? :)

I'll leave the stiletto's at home then shall I?? :)

Yes - the doc martens and the Leeds scarfe will come in useful. Perhaps the knuckledusters can stay at home though... B)

Yes - this camp follower is willing to march.

Me too!

Unfortunately I will be moving into my new house on the 28th, so I will not be present this time - my apologies.

I hope you lot aren't going to dress up in legionary outfits etc... with a name like AC I would have to bring the full Emperor garb!! And I ain't made it yet!!!

That is my job and I am at the loom as we speak, Augustus. Would you like an embroidered border? B)

This part of Britain can be wild and the weather changes in minutes sometimes. Remember you will be on high ground among hilly areas and although the countryside around can be awesome and spectacular it can also be cruel.

Ooh - I've come over all Emily Bronte.... But I promise to dress sensibly - and you already know I have my own Doc Martens! :)

Yes - this camp follower is willing to march.

Me too!

Unfortunately I will be moving into my new house on the 28th, so I will not be present this time - my apologies.

Oh no... moving house.. tell you what Wot (terrible I know) bring it with you!! Kettle too at least. B)

If you can't make it this time we'll all see you in York at the annual meet? Or even on the southern one if it is happening!! We'll make a toast for you and share your supplies between us!!

Not sure about the Leeds scarf NN!!!!! Esp. after this season!! My Toon one will stay home no doubt too... maybe we'll have a manager and a player called Michael Owen on our books then as well... oh - and the chairman will resign!!! :)

So, who have we got so far?

The Augusta, Pertinax, Northern Neil, AC and Flavia, Caldrail, Gaius Paulinus Maximus, Gaius Octavius?, docoflove 1974?, Nephele? with Andrew Dalby and WotWotius unavailable. So, it's 7 out of 10 so far which isn't bad. The question marks mean possible but need persuading????

Anyone else?

Edited by Augustus Caesar

So, who have we got so far?

The Augusta, Pertinax, Northern Neil, AC and Flavia, Caldrail, Gaius Paulinus Maximus, Gaius Octavius?, docoflove 1974?, Nephele? with Andrew Dalby and WotWotius unavailable. So, it's 7 out of 10 so far which isn't bad. The question marks mean possible but need persuading????

Anyone else?

Any news on Longbow? Is he intending to return to us, Augustus?

I don't know Augusta. I have had little contact with Longbow on these forums but I have checked and the last post made was on 11 April this year. Maybe you could send a PM and give notice of the Wall trip? Profile interests show a possible case of excitement by the prospect of meeting Comitatus. Maybe one other of our troupe could ask Longbow of a possible trip? It's not too far from Durham either.

I don't know Augusta. I have had little contact with Longbow on these forums but I have checked and the last post made was on 11 April this year. Maybe you could send a PM and give notice of the Wall trip? Profile interests show a possible case of excitement by the prospect of meeting Comitatus. Maybe one other of our troupe could ask Longbow of a possible trip? It's not too far from Durham either.

Your orders have been carried out, O Caesar! PM has been sent to Longbow.

There's absolutely no persuading needed on my part...it's just an employment issue. Specifically, as of now I don't know if I'll have a couple of academic positions come through, or if I'll be corporate. I should know in the next couple of weeks (I hope!). Once I know, and once I can figure out how much money to budget, I'll give my final answer!

If I can't go to this one, I've decided that I'll be in York next year. I'll make time!

Thank you Augusta for PMing Longbow. We await a response then!!

docoflove1974... hopefully you will be able to make it and can join in what is surely going to be a great weekend. If not we'll see you in York next Spring. Our proverbial Geordie and fellow countryman's fingers are crossed!!!

So, we may have eight so far....