UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

5 Books on Roman Women: Their Societal & Religious Roles

Goddesses, Whores, Wives, and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity, by Sarah B. Pomeroy, Professor of Classics at Hunter College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. (Schocken Books, 1975). Working from the premise that precedence in historical studies is given to the political and military achievements of men, the author has drawn upon and cited numerous primary sources to present a reliable picture of

Goddesses, Whores, Wives, and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity, by Sarah B. Pomeroy, Professor of Classics at Hunter College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. (Schocken Books, 1975). Working from the premise that precedence in historical studies is given to the political and military achievements of men, the author has drawn upon and cited numerous primary sources to present a reliable picture of

These all sound wonderful, Nephele - and I thank you for highlighting them. I did know the Pomeroy, as she was one of the very first historians to tackle women in the classical world, but I shall certainly check out the others. I don't know if you are familiar with Dixon's Reading Roman Women at all - but this is a book that I have begun no less than four times now! I keep putting it to one side to read something else, as I get frustrated with her approach that borders on the deconstructionist. I was intending to review that book for the Forum, but I am going to pass because I could not recommend it as a general read.

Thanks, Augusta. I haven't read Dixon's work. And, based on your assessment of it, I won't be inclined to pick it up.

-- Nephele

Great list Nephele! If only publishers began releasing more biographies of famous women from the Classical period. There are quite a few on the women of the late republic and early empire (Livia - as reviewed by the Augusta for instance), but they should publish some works on the women of the later empire. I've been trying to find a biography on Galla Placidia (and her daughter Honoria) and I can only find German books and novels. If only they'd release a good English biography!