UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Alba Fucens

Bryaxis Hecatee

Ah thanks you very much. That's making it all quite clear!

Do you have any map (a little more detailed) of the town, preferably with how the space was occupied? (I'm not sure if that is possible, beacuse I don't know how much that is really well excavated.)

The map I posted in the first post of the thread is about all you'll get as general map of the site. And I have not found any other more detailled. In fact we have been using it all year long for our lessons. What there is is some more detailled maps of particular buildings, eventually some small areas ( I've seen a map showing the San Pietro hill, in this case the temple, the San Pietro domus, the Amphitheater, Macro's domus ( also called house of the Amphitheater ) and the terrasse system with one or two streets also drawn on it. But il left quite a lot of white on the map...

Unfortunately I doubt very much that those maps are on the web, you will probably have to go directly to the archeological reports of the digs ( either the original serie on the digs at Alba Fucens or some dispersed articles like the one on the Domus of the Via del Miliarii which is published in the hommage book offered to Mertens ).

• 5 weeks later...
Massa d'Albe is a bit to the north of Alba Fucens which is midway between Massa d'Albe and Antrosano, on the hills that dominate the area. The access road, if i read google map correctly, is from north-east : the road to Alba Fucens begins were the road to Forme joins the SP 24

Ah, ok, thanks for the information. I am definitely going there next time I'm in Avezzano. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Actually that map is very good. There is also some interesting stuff about the archaeology of many of the Italian towns. Again its in Italian but if anyone finds anything interesting they don't understand I would be happy to provide a quick rough translatation. Thanks Silentium

Cheers

SF

• 1 month later...

I just met my colleagues coming back from a campaign in Alba Fucens and the results of this year's excavations ( the first one for this new belgian team ) are astounding ! They had chosen a spot at the juncture between the Forum and the Saepta area and under some 2 meters of sediments found a well kept sewer system ( digging a 10m long segment which gave numerous ceramics from all periods, marble columns, parts of buildings and statues, ... ), the first part of a huge building richly decorated ( painted walls, marble facing, mosaics, ... ), and various other elements. Two other teams were working in Alba Fucens this year, both Italians. One had a disappointing campaign on the other side of the forum, only finding some parts of the Forum's stones ( but it must be said that they were working in an area previously surveyed in the 50's/60's ) while the second team found private houses, the point were the Via del Miliarii cross the street of San Pietro hill, a lararium, statues, and other good finds.

More informations may follow.

• 4 months later...
they did not give me more details and i haven't seen any pictures of this year's campaign, but from what they said it was indeed wall frescoes but they did not have much more than fragments since what they found was traces more than complete walls :)

Ah, ok, for a moment I hoped they were intact.. =( but what they've found so far sounds very interesting, hopefully I will be able to provide pictures of the new excavations soon now that I'm back in Italia :)