UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Everyday life in Pompeii revealed

There is a common perception that life in the once-thriving Roman city of Pompeii is well-known from the wealth of artefacts that have been uncovered since its accidental discovery in 1748, but this is far from the case, according to findings of University of Leicester archaeologist Dr Penelope M Allison.

Until recently archaeologists working on Pompeian artefacts have tended to concentrate on examples of art, some of it erotic, from the town that was suddenly destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in August 79 AD. But Dr Allison

"Today we have hundreds of very specific gadgets," she said, "but in a non-gadget world you have a number of things used for a variety of purposes, such as pots that might have been wine dippers and spindle whorls that were used as furniture ornamentation."

Somehow, I can't imagine this as being the case in a senator's or an emperor's household. More likely a tradesman's. Perhaps, an over broad generalization?

"Today we have hundreds of very specific gadgets," she said, "but in a non-gadget world you have a number of things used for a variety of purposes, such as pots that might have been wine dippers and spindle whorls that were used as furniture ornamentation."

Somehow, I can't imagine this as being the case in a senator's or an emperor's household. More likely a tradesman's. Perhaps, an over broad generalization?

I can't also imagine pots and pans being stored permanently in the atrium, which seems an odd place to keep them. I must hunt through some of my archival material. If I recall, the atrium was a place where decorative objects like busts and statuary were on display, including fine frescoes, marble fountains and other works of art. In important homes, even the floors were spectacular (some of the tiles used had elaborate designs per samples excavated from uxurious Roman villas, albeit from post Republican sites).

yes, but then people vary. A houseproud person or one expecting visitors might keep up appearances, whilst someone who couldn't care less would use the space for more practical or perhaps wasteful purposes.