http://www.amazon.com/Caesar-Life-Colossus-...562&sr=1-12

The campaigns of Alexander by Arrian

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campaigns-Alexande...562&sr=1-12

Belisarius: The Last Great General of the Roman Empire by Lord Mahon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belisarius-Great-G...562&sr=1-12

Scipio Africanus: Greater than Nepoloen by B.H.Liddell Hart

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scipio-Africanus-Gre...562&sr=1-12

Edited by Viggen

I would have put Goldsworhty "In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire" in the list by the way

It's funny you should say that because I bought that book last week but Haven't as yet got round to reading it, but from what I hear it is very good and deserves to be on the list, but the list was based on books that I'd personally read myself........ so there! :)

I would have put Goldsworhty "In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire" in the list by the way

It's funny you should say that because I bought that book last week but Haven't as yet got round to reading it, but from what I hear it is very good and deserves to be on the list, but the list was based on books that I'd personally read myself........ so there! ;)

I've read it as well, and it really is fantastic.

I'm not sure why you included this: because it was the only one available in English? ;)

It's very dated and merely retells the story as related by Procopius. There was no attempt at a detailed analysis and because of this Mahon simply repeated all of Procopius' mistakes, such as the conflation of two of Belisarius' early battles into one. Recommended for the traditional, starry-eyed view of Belisarius, not as an attempt to tell his story in full.

Edited by sonic

I'm not sure why you included this: because it was the only one available in English? :)

It's very dated and merely retells the story as related by Procopius. There was no attempt at a detailed analysis and because of this Mahon simply repeated all of Procopius' mistakes, such as the conflation of two of Belisarius' early battles into one. Recommended for the traditional, starry-eyed view of Belisarius, not as an attempt to tell his story in full.

If only there was a more up to date book out there, telling the true story of Belisarius.............. :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Oh hold on a sec....... :P Ahhh now I remember!!!

Don't worry sonic I'm already on it!! :D

Nice list GP! I've recently gotten hold of a biography on another famous ancient world general, Pyrrhus of Epirus, by Jeff Champion. Another great book by the same publisher would have to be Mithridates the Great by Maty. I also enjoyed Caesar: Life of a Colossus by Goldsworthy, which you included on the list.

I highly recommend JFC Fuller's flawed masterpiece; Caesar: Man, Soldier and Tyrant. Fuller is most certainly wrong in his central criticism of what he thinks is Caesar's irresponsibility as a commander [and he's been criticized for it ever since]. He comes across almost like a sports journalist criticizing the New England Patriots for taking too many risks from 2001 through 2005 and downplaying the fact that they won three Superbowls in that time frame. You godless Europeans insert your soccer analogy here (I'm loathed to call that sport football).

Fuller, an ex-commander who should have known better, forgot what is the motto of several military units "Qui audet adipiscitur" [Who dares wins].

But Fuller's insight into the mechanics of command, preparation, execution of Caesar's operational and tactical missions and his insight into the psychology of military leadership all through the eye of an ex-commander of troops himself are worth the read.

Edited by Virgil61

Goldsworhty "In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire

I found both these books very readable and informative.

There was another biograhpy of Scipio Africanus I read a few years ago that was very good as well,

but seems to be missing from my bookcase.

And of course, Belisarius, The Last Roman General by Hughes.

All these years of reading on Rome, military history and history in general and I been meaning to but haven't gotten to this one yet. I've read his Strategy and The Rommel Papers a long time ago and remember them to be pretty decent reads.