UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Carthage: A History by Serge Lancel

Primus Pilus

Excellent review Pan. You make a good point about the lack of books on Carthage. I personally have never seen a book dealing with Carthage on its own, it's usually just books about the same subjects: The Punic Wars and Hannibal - and then they are usually told from the perspective of the Romans.

There ought to be more books like those written by Serge Lancel.

Excellent review Pan. You make a good point about the lack of books on Carthage. I personally have never seen a book dealing with Carthage on its own

Thank you very much, I still don't feel like I did the book justice in the review though.

There is a stunning lack of books on Carthage... Every book dealing directly with Punic Carthage as a whole is out of print. Including (I think) this one!

The pictures alone in this book make it worth the cost of finding a copy.

Excellent review Pan. You make a good point about the lack of books on Carthage. I personally have never seen a book dealing with Carthage on its own

Thank you very much, I still don't feel like I did the book justice in the review though.

There is a stunning lack of books on Carthage... Every book dealing directly with Punic Carthage as a whole is out of print. Including (I think) this one!

The pictures alone in this book make it worth the cost of finding a copy.

I know what you mean, I've been trying to get a copy of a book on Rome's war with Carthage recently, although it's been out of print for many years. It's a Peter Connolly title, which I'd like to get because it was one of the earliest books I remember reading about the Romans. It's a shame they no longer publish them.

Interesting review on Carthage P; you're right there's not much on their history or culture out there. Looks like Amazon's got some used copies for a decent price.

Great review, Pan! And the basis for my book selection for my public library, as we appear to be woefully lacking in this subject area.

Over the last 2 years I

• 1 month later...
Great review, Pan! And the basis for my book selection for my public library, as we appear to be woefully lacking in this subject area.

I'm ordering "the definitive modern source on the subject" first thing tomorrow morning when I'm at work, thanks to you!

-- Nephele

Thanks Nephele! (Very Belated...)

I left abruptly on the day this was posted last month and it got lost in the shuffle. I'm glad my review inspired you to enrich your public library with Lancel's work. It's a great one. :blink: