UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

the emperors entertainment

the other night i stumbeled apon an olde movie on t.v which was something about rome when one of jesus's deciples i forget his name @ the moment was the main focus of the movie and at one part it showed a celebration going on for the emperor and it showed that the dances and music were of at least 3 different cultures, is it possible that the ceasers used different cultures dance and musi for entertainment at festivals and celabretions(sorry i cant spell tonight) and such??

Yes they did - An interesting diversion for an evening. It had curiosity value and a certain uniqueness. Oneupmanship if your political rivals couldn't entertain their guests with such originality. For the most part however, they usually kept to familiar modes of entertainment. If you see what I mean ;)

as a matter of fact i do lol so in essence they did use different cultures as form of entertainment in a way to stand out and look better then everyone else(partly becuase money and/or because of power). but when it came right down to it romans did as romans did and didn usually stray far from their own stuff :D

I would say the bulk of the evening was typically roman. However, something different during the proceedings are going to interest and entertain your party-goers. If you really wanted a splash, why not two different acts? It boils down to availability, originality, cost.

I can imagine a party starting to flag.... the host summons a slave and whispers in his ear, who then rushes off... Then the host claps his hands. "Ladies! Gentlemen! I have a pleasant suprise. To celebrate my forthcoming election I bring a private viewing of a pair of gladiators, two men of renown from the arena's of Rome. Please make soom room in the middle there..."

In front of the gathered party-goers, two men fight to the death in the same way they would in the colosseum. To the romans, this was culture just as much as greek musicians or whatever. So it isn't just entertainment, there can also be moments of excitement. Yet in the same party, a speaker might recite a poem and receive the same applause.