UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

what part of the army would you be in?

Think I'd be something along the lines of a virs militaris or in other words a "career soldier", someone who'd spent his whole life in the army and worked his way to a respectable rank because of his time served and not because of a wealthy upbringing.

Who knows? I might even enter the political arena when all this fighting is over and done with!! :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, given my age... retired from service :D or a Triarii.

Might be a bit off topic, but given age and marital status my situation reminds me of Kipling's "The Married Man." More specifically the closing line:

"So I'd rather fight with the bacheler, An' be nursed by the married man!" (read the poem why).

Edited by Spurius

• 2 weeks later...
uh,hmm...I would,as a female,disguise myself as a man,and become a centurion with a big helmet to cover my face,as to not blow my cover.

Why not? Women throughout history have gone to war disguised as a man (or a younger boy). Beats me why they'd want to, war is not something pleasant or sociable, but I suppose some women just wanted to know what is was that men did, or perhaps didn't see why men should have all the fun, or was it just a sort of primitive 'equal rights for women'?

In your case it appears you like shouting at men! ;)

I would probably be in the infantry and fight in the front line. I am very strong, brave and also possess good leadership skills. In time I would ( if i lived) i would become a centurion than work my way up the centurion ranks. If I was in the noble classes I would still fight in the infantry and be a vir militaris. Great way to build my political career, as well as earn the respect and admiration of my fellow soldiers. The army was the best way to build a powerbase.

• 4 weeks later...

Gallic infantry (very) irregular. Cool spiky hair style, incredibly cheap uniform, lots of quaffing and wenching, and I get to go home if my first charge don't work.

Well, if I had my druthers I would've been in the speculatores doing reconnaissance work. But reality tells me I'd probably have wound up in the praetorians, taking brides from Senators to keep them informed of the Emperor's movements and who he was swapping pillow-talk with... ;)