UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Vibius Tiberius Costa

what part of the army would you be in?

Well, if I had my druthers I would've been in the speculatores doing reconnaissance work. But reality tells me I'd probably have wound up in the praetorians, taking brides from Senators to keep them informed of the Emperor's movements and who he was swapping pillow-talk with... ;)

(taking brides from Senators) is that a mistake or are you serious ;)

Well, if I had my druthers I would've been in the speculatores doing reconnaissance work. But reality tells me I'd probably have wound up in the praetorians, taking brides from Senators to keep them informed of the Emperor's movements and who he was swapping pillow-talk with... ;)

(taking brides from Senators) is that a mistake or are you serious ;)

I keed! I keed! ;)

Salve, guys! Since I have a tendency to pessimism (or to well informed optimism), whatever were my position at the army, I suppose I would have ended as a slave (excuse me: "war prisoner").

I'm not sure what part I would be. Had I existed in Roman times and had my pick of positions, I'd like to be part of the early heavy cavalry that evolved into Byzantine Cataphracts.

Otherwise, it is likely I'd likely be in the velite.

Yes, I would like to be part of the Cataphracts. Either that, or I would like to be part of the Urban cohort which was an elite group of the Praetorians.

I would like to be part of the Urban cohort which was an elite group of the Praetorians.

They are in Rome Total War, but actually they were a different (and less well paid) outfit. That sort of thing in RTW is why I'm now playing Rome Total Realism. I'm not sure how this version handles the Praetorians as I keep losing to the Carthaginians before I get there. However, it's convinced me that I want to be in whatever part of the Roman army that didn't have to face elephants or missile cavalry.

Where I would want to be within the Roman Military would depend on the time period, in which there are positive and negative aspects with both.

Personally I would rather be in the post Marian - Early Imperial Army for a few reasons. The foremost is the Imperial army being a professional army, which is under constant training and is ready to deploy even in times of peace; where as armies during the Republic were conscripted in the time of need. Coming from a humble upbringing, the prospect of pay and land (post 25 years of service) is appealing, and that the state provides you with your kit and armor, even though it is deducted from your pay. Working with siege weapons would have been an interesting position, specifically I think it'd be fun to operate a scorpion, from what I've read scorpions are highly accurate in the right hands. It would be fun to be a sniper of the ancient world. :blink:

Primus Pilus wouldn't be such a bad job overall and would be the highest rank I'd aspire to - leave the political games for those trained in politics and rhetoric, just give me some land, two mules, and a flagon of ale for my service.

Edited by Diocles

I would live near to a fort and fall in love with a handsome soldier. :) Of course he would love me too and he would secretly get out of the fort to meet me as often as he can. At night and at any other time when there

I would live near to a fort and fall in love with a handsome soldier. :) Of course he would love me too and he would secretly get out of the fort to meet me as often as he can. At night and at any other time when there

I

Equestrian Tribune during Trajan's reign.

1. Prefect of Cohort

2. Tribune

3. Prefect of Alae

4. Procurator of a section in Rome

5. Praetorian Prefect

6. Retire and live in a nice villa as a running an olive oil business. Maybe a senator too, though running my business secretly.