UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

According to the article, the Ottomans ordered massive amounts of ammunition and weapons from Western countries. By the time warfare changed during the late 1800s, the Ottomans could no longer depend on their specialty hand to hand combat. This probably led to having to finally modernize the army. Also in the Russo-Ottoman War of 1877 the Russians made so many mistake it may not have been such a closely contested war had logistics been better to the Russians.

Nonetheless an interesting read Kosmo, thank you. :)

So, the effective defence of Gallipoli was possible because the ottoman army was in her element in trench warfare.

I wached an documentary on Tv about Gallipoli war. There were some sinipers in Turkish army and heavy guns. According to the documentary; English army had some logistic problems and didnt had enought informations about the geography. Thirsty was very big problem for English army. The result was terrible. Too many son for both side.

There were friendship between enemy army. It is unacceptable today for one side to throw some fruit vegetable to enemy and for other side to throw some canned food in exchange, isnt it? It is only one example according to what withnesses and letters said. May be it was the last fight of gentelmen.

Turkish government honoured the people (Enemy and Turkish people) lieing there together, regarded enemies as our sons. It is sad memory to remember and respect.

I have some relatives lying there.

Soory, may be i get out of the subject a bit. Thanks for reading me :)

One very intersting thing about the Ottoman empire was that they allowed muslims to be pirates (barbary pirates) and the Europeans couldnt do anything about it till the 19th century. Barbary pirates took many slaves, too. Also, the Ottomans hadthe advatage in the late middle ages of having more scholars and such, with scientific knowledge greater than Europeans. Europe broke out of the middle ages in part because of muslim knowledge, and england and france had small cities, and a limiting feudal society with only a feew educated people. There was a golden age in muslim culture while europe was in the dark ages. But, the ottomans were in steady decline after 1650, andtheir power would never be the same after Suleyman the Lawgiver died.

Antiochus III

Edited by Antiochus III

By 1350 when ottoman power stareted to rise, the West was already far more advanced. The ottomans relied heavily on borrowing from the West in many aspects.

After the year 1000 and even more after the mongol invasions the muslim world decayed seriously in all areas including culture.