UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spurius

Herod's tomb?

Well, I've followed this with interest and I must say some folk jump very quickly to tell us it IS the very tomb of Herod while others show a distinct lack of enthusiasm. Personally, I would say a few more bits of evidence is required. Engravings would be just the order of the day but is it likely? The tomb apparently was smashed by Herod's detractors because he was a puppet of the Roman Empire.

I await more convincing evidence but it is a great story!!

Here is some more Herodian tabloid journalism:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

I find it odd that many newspapers have already come to the conclusion that Herod's tomb has been discovered, rather than a possible site has been found.

It is even mentioned on localised area news in Britain, probably making it one of the most famous non-disoveries in recent times.

As a little side note to this amazing 'discovery' - I was reading from the piece in The Telegraph yesterday to a work colleague. This work colleague - a devout catholic who was educated in a convent - actually asked me if this was the 'Herod in the Bible' and when I said it was, she asked, 'Oh - did he really exist then?'

Sometimes, you just have to stand in wonderment.....

Here is some more Herodian tabloid journalism:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

An objective read but then one finds at the foot of the article his religious background and this gives a different perspective. Until someone somewhere finds categorical truth about the times of Jesus and fellow man then we will all argue different things according to what one believes from stories one has read and also from what one has heard.

I still say we need proof every time before we can jump to conclusions. This is true for many many historical facts and figures including our precious Roman way of life. Interpretation can be good and bad too. Debate is always welcome but it loses me when someone says their 'truth' is the true one.

I assume this dig will go for some time yet and hopefully the truth WILL come out somehow.