UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

Roman Hair and Shaving

Pertinax had a funny thought when commenting on the bust I posted with the elaborate hairstyle. What in hell did they use to keep the hair like that? I can hardly imagine anything what would do the job done even today but glue or something.

I apologise if this has already been touched upon, i have a habit of not reading things through.

But did soldiers need a certain haircut, because i see (in the background of Rome) some have long hair, some in ponytails and others the popular short and no beard.

Any thoughts

cheers

vtc

Weve kicked this one around previously, but its bears repeating...to get comfortable and clean in the field and to look "Romanised" it would seem that short hair is a practical solution. However as Caldrail (I think) has previously mentioned those serving away from home or of "extramural" origin might on ocassion be given to a more hirsute appearence. The rationale would be this, if we accept that the desired goal of Roman grooming culture is the suppression of superfluous hair (indeed perhaps a microcosm of civilising behaviour that an aspiring barbarian could buy into) then logically short hair seems correct. A second factor is freedom from lice and ease of grooming on campaign (lice being a particularly potent disease vector), thirdly and oft forgotten comfort of fit for the helmet especially in very hot conditions ( those things burn in the hot sun), anyone who has worn a tin hat/re-enactment helm/kendo men would , I think, vote for very short hair.Trajanic representations hint at Germanic auxilliaries with "long" hair.

MUSEUM THOUGHTS

Portrait of a Lady (c. 75 A.D.)

by Morris Bishop

Julia to the barber went

And got herself a permanent.

Since the perm was unsurpassed,

"Fine!" she said. "But will it last?"

(I approximate the sense

Of "Estne vere permanens?")

Then the vehement coiffeur,

Warmly reassuring her,

Guaranteed with confidence

The permanence of permanents.

Rome is gone and all her pride,

Still the dainty curls abide;

Venus, Mars, and Jove are dead,

Still remains the lovely head.

Let a thousand years go by,

Let our gods and empires die,

Time will never set a term

To the life of Julia's perm.

Mundo semper erit gratus

Iste capitis ornatus.

I first encountered this witty little poem in my high school Latin (first year) textbook. I had memorized only the first four lines of the poem and, as the years passed, I sadly never came across this poem in its entirety again. Until today.

Having been inspired by this thread -- and the picture of the bust of the Roman lady which Klingan posted (which, coincidentally, was the exact same picture which illustrated this poem in my Latin textbook) -- I was determined to find this favorite old poem from my childhood.

A bit of online research revealed that this poem had first appeared in a 1953 issue of The New Yorker magazine. So today I visited the New York Public Library, searched through their microfilm and, voil

• Like 1

I have long hair to my shoulders and know how much my head sweats from wearing the cricket helmet in the Australian heat :) . However in the coldness of England it is invaluable on keeping my ears warm. I suppose if a roman was to have had long hair, they would either be considered different and expressive as a result or simply abused for it?

ty for reply Pertinax

vtc

Pertinax had a funny thought when commenting on the bust I posted with the elaborate hairstyle. What in hell did they use to keep the hair like that? I can hardly imagine anything what would do the job done even today but glue or something.

I see that AD has some references in "Empire of Pleasures" to gums used to fragrance the hair.I was going to suggest beeswax and sticky balsams as a possibility , AD mentions: Balm of Gilead (or Balsam of Mecca) that being the Comiphora , a heavyish deep fragrance ..the extract is still used in some cough medicines(like Myrrh which is C.molmol) .If you recall we have the capture of these trees on the fall of Jerusalem , and were transported to Rome as part of the relevant Triumph.AD continues , mentioning Styrax (still commercially available) and galbanum. The upshot is that we are aware of a market for resinous and fragrant gums so it is not illogical to suggest they might have a role as a component in "hair gel" . Myrrh and Frankinscence are logical possibilities , but the latter is rather more flammable and might be a touch tricky (like hairspray). A ready made wig would perhaps be an easier mechanical confection.

A ready made wig would perhaps be an easier mechanical confection.

I agree, if not a wig maybe a clip of that certain style. Also remember it may haev been held together inside by wood or metal clips or poles or anotehr such derivative. Also these sculptures may have ben exaggerayed to make the woman seem to be mroe fashionable.

vtc

Myrrh grains as they are now sold, I cannot see any reason that they should differ from the product in Roman times.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1868

I am just going to melt some to see how they compare to the oil (which is very thick and heavy) in terms of fragrance and malleability.

Post Scriptum: interesting, I am slightly narcotised by the fumes , but my hands and hair have a faint remote hint of robust, but not unpleasant resin (nothing so aggressive as pine or cedar).The oil driven off by heating does not burn readily, I suspect full exposure to a fierce flame is needed. Heady.