UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Julia C

Identify this statue of Augustus for me?

I've found this image of a statue of Augustus someplace on the internet. It's a rather nice statue, but I don't know where it's from or what museum it's stored in. I'd like to know this because I'd like to find an image of the statue that wasn't in greyscale--I would like to see the statue in color to see its full glory. The range of depth in marble simply cannot be shown in grey.

It's a wonderful statue--with the laurel wreath, the armor, and the eagle sceptre. I just wish I had a colored picture!

SF20732.jpg

Well, a telephone call to the Corbis folk didn't yield any information, either. Although I was told that the photo is part of the Otto Bettmann collection. But Bettmann collected zillions of images over his lifetime, so there's no telling which museum was the source of that particular image of Augustus. Although perhaps a search of German museums might prove fruitful, as I'm guessing that image may have been one that Bettmann acquired before he left Germany to escape the Nazis.

-- Nephele

Well, a telephone call to the Corbis folk didn't yield any information, either. Although I was told that the photo is part of the Otto Bettmann collection. But Bettmann collected zillions of images over his lifetime, so there's no telling which museum was the source of that particular image of Augustus. Although perhaps a search of German museums might prove fruitful, as I'm guessing that image may have been one that Bettmann acquired before he left Germany to escape the Nazis.

-- Nephele

This is something along the lines of what I was thinking, Nephele. The statue must have been in a private collection and only 'published' in recent times. It's so impressive, however, that I'm sure we would have something on it somewhere. It could still be in private hands, of course - as you say Bettmann just photographed it. Or is it a modern copy?

Whatever its provenance - it's very lovely. Let's keep digging.

Edited by The Augusta

I would agree with you, Silentum - but I recall a statue of Claudius in this pose either at the Capitoline or Vatican Museum.

However, this one of Augustus - I don't know. The more I study it, the more I do not believe it is an original Roman statue. I will admit that if it had been in a private collection for centuries (i.e. a family heirloom or something) then this would explain why we haven't seen it before. But it seems almost too perfect - without any damage whatsoever. It screams Victoriana to me.

I don't know if anyone else can shed any light here.

I would agree with you, Silentum - but I recall a statue of Claudius in this pose either at the Capitoline or Vatican Museum.

Yes, that's in Musei Vaticani, a statue of Claudius depicted as Jupiter.

I agree with you about this one, it seems too well preserved, especially the sceptre...if it's an original it could have had some restauration (addition of missing parts perhaps?), or it could be a copy of an original..but this is just speculation

Sorry if i was wrong about the Capitoline Museum, it obviously reminded me of something else!

This statue has it looks like, the Pima Porta (Musei Vaticani, Rome) under the cloak.

There is nothing in Ramage and Ramage (foremost experts on Art and Architecture). If you can bare to wait until August, I will see an expert on this period and let you know further.

regards

Suz.

I agree with you about this one, it seems too well preserved, especially the sceptre...if it's an original it could have had some restauration (addition of missing parts perhaps?), or it could be a copy of an original..but this is just speculation

I'd also have to agree, the statue is just too perfect to be an original, Ive had a good look around but I've found absolutely no trace of it what so ever.

Here's a couple of sites with Augustan portrait sculptures but unfortunately not a sniff of our mystery statue!

https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/content/user...4/auguport.html

http://lordbest.napoleonicmedals.org/galleryaugustus.html

Well, as you know - as someone who has been sadly 'in love' with this particular emperor for 30 years, I can say with some confidence that I am au fait with almost all extant portraits of him. Although there are always going to be a few that haven't been published until recently, this one has totally eluded me and bears so much resemblance to the Claudius version that I have my doubts as to its authenticity as an original of the period. I do realise, of course, that portraying the current monarch as Jupiter may have been a tradition that Claudius inherited from his predecessors - hence there could have been a statue of Augustus in such a guise that we have never seen before, but like others who have posted, it is just too perfect to be original.

Suzhannah - no problems - I am sure it was the Claudius one you saw. I immediately thought of the Claudiius statue when Julia first posted this - although if memory serves me correctly, Claudius is semi-draped in his version and not wearing a cuirass. Will check it out.

Edited by The Augusta